Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 May 2008 22:59:22 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Battery Woes/Choice
Comments: To: RAlanen@aol.com

Just want to add that a UI gel battery might be a nice option for some folks too. The battery is only 5 inches deep by 7 5/8" wide by 7 inches high. They weigh in at 24 pounds and carry 33 AH's. I took a few quick measurements and I think by removing the metal lip behind the driver seat, two of these will fit side-by-side for 66AH's.

One could also just put one of these in the secret compartment next to the water holding tank-- it will fit fine there, or behind the right rear taillight, and lastly on the right side of the heater under the rear seat, they will go with widthwise taking a minimal amount of space. This little extra battery may offer the supplemental power that I was looking for. I'm not sure it's a wise idea to combine a gel and an AGM, very different charging requirements. They would more than likely have to be isolated to be used with an external charger.

Food for thought.

Troy

----- Original Message ----- From: RAlanen@aol.com To: colorworks@gci.net Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2008 3:09 PM Subject: Re: Battery Woes/Choice

In a message dated 25/05/2008 4:42:15 P.M. Central Standard Time, colorworks@gci.net writes: In order to get a relay (sure power, etc) in the box too, I would probably have to go with the group 42 battery. Unfortunately, the reserve capacity (or AH's) is rarely listed. I was over at Wally world yesterday and check the catalogs, but they had no such information. I believe the group 41 is about a 75-90 minute reserved, so only about 30 40 amp hours or so. Group 42 is even less.

Troy, all these batteries listed below will fit in that battery compartment with the Sure Power 1315.

Group 41 seems to be the native battery for Vanagons. There are others that fit into the compartment too.

Group 41 standard size, sort off Group 42 smaller, weaker option Group 48 very close to standard but easier fit into compartment? Group 91 standard size, maybe stronger? Group 40R maybe close but don't have details

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (Collection for sale) Frank Condelli & Associates - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems BusFusion a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June12 ~ 15, 2008