Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 2008 08:26:28 -0700
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist08@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel schmiesel...i'm thinking of going electric

>Why would the COST to convert any vehicle to electric, be any different, >based on how good it's original gas mileage is? Sounds like a load of crap >to me. What is your personal experience regarding this? None, I'll >bet..........

It's pretty simple, a heavier vehicle takes energy to propel it. To get more energy you need a bigger motor. A bigger motor requires more batteries. Bigger motors and higher current systems require beefier controllers, heavier wiring, etc. Bigger stuff costs more money.

Of course you could use a smaller electric motor and gear it down to reduce your speed (and range), but then you have unsafe vehicle. You have to keep up with regular traffic. Heck, it's hard enough merging onto some freeways with a gas powered Vanagon.

I've never converted a Vanagon to Electric, but I've worked on other EV's and in my "day job" I work on Priuses adding additional batteries. BTW, adding and 350% more Nickel Metal Hydride batteries to a stock Prius costs about $10k only gives it a range of 14 miles on pure electricity....and that's a lightweight vehicle with an extremely efficient electric motor.

If you can track down the 1 or 2 Vanagon owners that converted their Vanagons to EV, I bet they drive them less than 20 miles a week.

I would love an Electric Vanagon, but physics just don't permit it at this time unless you are willing to spend tons of money. Do a little research, you'll come to the same conclusion.

...and if you ignore the naysayers and end up building an EV Vanagon, I'll be first in line to go for a ride in it!

-Paul