Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 2008 23:54:37 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Master cylinder question

I am no expert in Vanagon brakes. But I did two brake jobs on my two Vanagons recently. The result of the fist brake job wasn't great. My pedal often passes 1/2 point to kick in. But if I pump the pedal once then it will kick in at the beginning 1/4 point. I bled the brake twice but no improvement. I had no idea why.

My 2nd brake job recently was far more successfully. I put in new brake shoes and cylinders. Adjusted the shoes back and forth to make sure proper tightness. Then bled the brake once. The result was great. Parking brake level is perfect and brake pedal is firm and will kick in at the beginning 1/4 depth.

Nothing was done to the front brakes as the pads all looked thick enough. So one brake job was not good but the other great. The difference I think is in the adjustment of the brake shoes. I believe it affects the pedal.

Today I did another brake job for a Honda Accord. I put in new brake shoes and new cylinders. I found that Honda Accord's rear drum brakes have no holes for adjusting the star wheel. SO there is no way I could adjust the shoes the way I did on the Vanagon. After bleeding the brake it turns out that the pedal also will only kick in beyond 1/2 pedal depth. Not good.

Based on these I tend to believe that adjustmnent of the shoes is critical for the pedal to work right. Again I am no expert. Any comments from experts out there please?

David