Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 May 2008 17:51:58 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gasoline
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>

I was under the impression that the 2WD Vanagon held 15.8 gallons. The most I've ever gotten in y tank with the motor stumbling as I rolled in to the gas station was 15.1. I think there is a certain volume of fuel that constantly runs through the system that is not available to be burned. Hard to calculate how much fuel that is, but the return line plus the feed line plus what the pump and filter and manifolds hold and a bit for the bottom of the tank and maybe that adds up to .7 gallons?

YMMV

DM&FS

I went to a new all-you-can-eat restaurant called Bulimia's...the line for the bathroom was incredible!!- Steven Wright

At 02:31 PM 5/27/2008, David Kao wrote: >The gas price at Los Banos was about the same around San Jose. San Jose >has cheaper gas around the Bay Area. So it wasn't too bad for me to buy >gas at Los Banos. But I really do not like Los Banos, or the stretch of >HWY 152 there. It is always windy that makes driving a Westy no fun. >I had to slow down to 50 MPH when driving against head wind sometimes >between Los Banos and HWY99. > >Isn't the capacity of Vanagon gas tank 15 gallons? I think I had only 2 >maybe 3 liters of gas remaining when I finally saw a gas station. I never >went down that low before. I really thought I blew it. > >Yes, the needle swings a little always. I sometimes allowed it to swing >into the red zone and not to worry. But it passed the red zone and did >not swing back... That was a pretty close call. > >A 1.9TDI Westy is like a dream. Not because of gas economy but the driving >distance like 600 miles per tank is what I like in particular. I could >go to Yosemite and back without refueling. Besides that it gives better >torque for the hills. It's really the engine of choice for all Westies. > >I am not aware that California gas is now 10 % ethanol. Is this true? >Is that why gas in California so expensive? > >David > >--- Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > > Awesome that you made to Yosemite ! > > and Los Banos is sure not a place one would want to be buying gas i > > suspect- price wise. > > I dislike carrying any fuel in a gas can of board of > > course...........but what comfort knowing you had a gallon say stashed. > > and .......if traffic will allow it..............you drop down the about > > 35 to 42 mph, drive in very high gear at about 12 % throttle, and you > > cuuld squease out 28 mpg on a gasoline vanagon. > > > > at 14.1 you were down there all right. > > Pumping a 2WD Vanagon tank bone dry on purpose, like to remove it from > > the van, i've gotten way over 2 gallons out of them after the gague was > > on 'zero-nothing.' > > Does yours do this - I've had this a few times, in two vanagons I can > > think of.............when the gague needle gets to the top of the > > red......... > > it swings a bit.............one minute it'll show top of the > > red.........a few minutes later it'll be a good couple of needle width's > > above top of the red. > > > > 21.5 is decent mileage. > > talk about what fuel prices 'were'.......... > > in the mid 90's..........diesel was $ 1.48 per gal. > > I had a 5 speed 1.9TD GL Vanagon, with a 10 gal aux tank. > > Several times i went 600 miles on the odometer with that total fuel > > load, and refueled..............like after 615 miles - for $ 28.00 !!! > > Not too shabby, > > > > Sorry to go on - am inviting everyone, including diesel people, to > > calculate miles per dollar. That's what *really* matters after all. > > > > Say my turbo volvo sedan, Inga.................say she gets 20 mpg on > > 4.00 dollar per gallon gas- that's 5 miles per dollar. > > Just running #'s in my head..............I can show that a TD vanagon > > getting 26 mpg on $ 5.00 per gallon fuel..............is only doing 5.2 > > miles per dollar - barely better - though you can sleep and cook in the > > TD vanagon ! > > ( but a gasoline vanagon or Westy at 20 mpg at $ 4.00 gallon is doing > > the same miles/dollar as that 740 turbo volvo sedan, but then the > > Vanagon can't go just 80 anywhere, and not blow around in the wind > > either ! ) > > > > My all time record btw..........in the 70's.................I put 100 > > dollars into an envelope, and drove a 56 VW Bus ( probably mid to high > > 20's mpg ) all around Nevada and down to North Rim of the Grand Canyon > > etc, until that 100 bucks was gone . > > This hardly sounds believable, but i have it in my head that i went > > 3,300 miles on that hundred bucks..........or maybe ti was 2,300 - that > > sounds better- it was 1973, the first gas crisis, and fuel was > > ..................under a dollar for sure........ > > but i got t 23 miles per dollar at least - my all time record, and > > probably never to be exceeded by something you can sleep and cook in, or > > carry a ton of junk in. > > > > glad you made it to a gas station ! > > what relief ! oh please, please just be open, I almost don't care what > > it costs, I just need that precious go juice ! > > > > Do you happen to know btw, if your California gas is 10 % ethanol like > > all our Oregon gas is now ? > > thnx, > > scott > > www.turbovans.com > > > > David Kao wrote: > > > 3 weeks ago I nearly ran out of gas on my way back out of Yosemite > > > on HWY 152 at Los Banos. The gauge was bottomed out. When the needle > > > passed bottom edge of the red zone on the gauge I was still 12 miles > > > from the next gas station. I thought I blew it and would have to pull > > > over waiting for who knows what aid would come to rescue me. > > > > > > Fortunately I made it to a gas station. The bill was $56. I pumped > > > 14.1 gallon of gas into the gas tank. The gas mileage of the trip > > > was 21.5 MPG. That included going up to and coming back down > > > from Yosemite with nearly a full tank of gas. A full tank of gas > > > in 1984 was around $10 only. > > > > > > David > > > > > > --- J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > > > > > > > >> <I'm just > > >> 'shocked' that I can put over $40 in a VW bus... I'd have been more > > >> shocked if I'd have had to pay for that other 6 gal too.> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> Get used to it-in a few weeks that $42.00 will seem like a > bargain! After Natural Bus next > > >> weekend I probably won't be venturing further than 50 miles > from home in the Westy for the > > rest > > >> of the summer. Jeff > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > >