Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 May 2008 18:35:17 -0700
From:         dylan friedman <insyncro@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2nd try - Bostig 2nd Gen Zetec Kit
Comments: To: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>

Coolio, that was the answer I was looking for.

$225 is not an issue if you compare it to a WBX AFM, new or rebuilt.

New at time of install makes the most sense to me, but nuts about my Syncros.

dylan

----- Original Message ---- From: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:57:30 PM Subject: Re: 2nd try - Bostig 2nd Gen Zetec Kit

This is an excerpt from the "start here" page in the google group, just so that people don't get too confused, it is either 4 5 or 6 parts depending on the airbox option choice. If anyone wants more info, let's get you into the google group so as not to drift too far off topic here on the vanagon list.

v2.0 List of required parts: (4/4/08)

- Engine (same engine call sheet as v1.x applies) - Alternator (either salvage or new, for a 2001 Ford Focus DOHC engine) - Power Steering pump (same call sheet as v1.x applies) - Mass Air Flow Meter/AirFilter Options There are 3 options for the v2.0 Customers regarding the Airflow meter/filter arrangement: 1) stick with simply used MAF sensor and an open element filter (as seen in photos of the v1.x kit) Pros: inexpensive, MAFs cost $25-$45 used, the open element filter costs $45. Easy to install, nothing required Cons: noisier than the airbox option, if driving in dusty environments, increased cleaning frequency is required

2) Brand new airbox, MAF, and Panel filter. Pros: Easy to install, easy to source(just tell us), all brand new(MAF is also new), quieter than open element filter Cons: Expensive ($225)

3) Used Airbox and MAF Pros: Quieter than open element, less expensive than option 2($25-$45 for MAF, $20-$40 for airbox) Cons: More expensive than Open element, plastic legs must be cut off of box in order to fit correctly(not difficult, but is extra work)

Jim Akiba

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Peter Young <pyjme@aol.com> wrote: > Jim, > You mention "allow(ing) yourself another $800-$1000 for the other 5 parts needed to > finish the install." What are the other 5 parts needed (besides a low mileage engine > from a local source) to finish the install? I also have another question: the oil pan has > been revised to increase departure angle but retain full capacity - is this setup standard > or an option? Is the clearance just as good as (or better than) the previous "short" pan? > > Peter > '81 Westy "Daisy" > planning on getting a water-cooled in the future just so I can do the Zetec conversion... >