Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 May 2008 20:43:29 -0700
From:         Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: lifter question
Comments: To: dylan friedman <insyncro@yahoo.com>

you got it. factors are ............ could be a really bad lifter, could be a mis-adjusted rocker arm screw. and .........have only seen this once, and you'd think it would be there cold too - but a trashed up rocker arm screw or rocker arm.

but i would always treat the oil - with Hyduralic Lifter Treatment...........CD-2 is one I like -yellow bottle.

also...............I have used a million gallons of Castro GTX 20W50 - when I got into Diesels in 1992 in Sausalito Ca I got turned on to Chevron Delo 15W40 - some salesman even said it stood for 'diesel engine lubricating oil' - who knows about that.

but now..........for a conventional oil, for well broken in engines , for normal temps, like above frezing........i never ever use anything but Chevron Delo 15W 40. I might use Mobile 1 15W50 ......... and diesel people can use 'real' dedicated diesel oils......... but i've even tried to make an engine 'smoother and quieter' by going from Chevron Delo 15W40 to Castol GTX 20W50 - i never did that again. it was not better. I 'might' sometimes on a very old and tired engine use Engine Restore........but that's somethign with years and years and hundreds of thousands of miels on it like my 1970 Mercedes gas sedan.

but if the vanagon was in my shop.............as a paying job- i'd go through the rocker arm adjustment. when you get to a bad lifter, or one not pumped up right, it's obvious. when that happens, all you can do is fake the adjsutment and not make it too tight.......... and run the engine and treat the oil and see what happens. or replace that lifter. I always find several things wrong anyway that people didn't even know about. People always think it's 'one thing' - in my world........... it's commonly 4 half things and one solid thing.

Course everyone has their own ideas about engine oil- it's like religion that way. scott www.turbovans.com

dylan friedman wrote: > OK, > I had a guy come up to me at the track and ask this question, he knows > I drive Vanagons: > > "I have lifter noise after the engine is up to temp, but not at cold > start" > > I responded with oil questions, 20/50 and a VW filter are used. > Heads were resealed about 4k ago. > Van runs good, I drove it, just noisy. > I added, soft lifter and valve adjustment possible. > > Any other advise? > I really haven't ever heard such a thing. > > dylan > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG. > Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.24.1/1469 - Release Date: 5/27/2008 1:25 PM >