Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 May 2008 08:48:00 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Ethanol..Corn only?
Comments: To: Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

A vehicle under specific conditions will get a specific mpg from the energy of a specific fuel - depending on the calories or BTW's in a specific quantity of the fuel. Gasoline has more btu's/calories than ethanol. Ethanol is ethanol whether it comes from corn or sugar cane or kudzu vines (my favorite choice for making ethanol - the kudzu vine is taking over the south. Lets use it for fuel instead of corn). If you dilute your 1 gallon of gasoline with 10% ethanol, the 1 gallon of fuel will no longer have the total btus/calories that it has as a gallon of pure gasoline, so you are not going to get the mileage from it you would from the gallon of pure stuff.

As for vapor lock, I'm not really sure. Which of the two - gasoline or alcohol - is the lighter weight fuel with the greatest volatility? Which ever is the lighter of the two will tend to separate and vaporize causing vapor lock. . However, on high pressure FI systems that would most likely not be a problem

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Scott Foss - Shazam wrote: > That's what I got too. > Breaks for farmers that make over 300K a year or something. > Sick ! > I'm wondering if 10 % ethanol fuel vapor locks more easily in high temps. > My 1970 carbed Mercedes has had two clear cases of no liquid fuel to the > engine, both in very hight temps. > one just the other day in 100 degrees. > i'm going to put on a pusher electric fuel pump in back by the tank. > and increase return flow to the fuel tank from the engine........both of > which should help a lot. > but ..........do you have an opinioin or real informatioin about if 10 % > ethanol gas can vaoor lock more easily ? > > of course on our 30 psi fuel injected vanagons it's way less likely to > be a problem. > My gas pump jocky said people with newer cars said they 'maybe' got > slightly better fuel mileage with 10 % ethanaol gas, but i got the > imporession that was just by impression, and not calculation. > > any thought on the vapor lock issue ? > thanx, scott >