Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 May 2008 08:32:06 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery Woes/Choice

The group 41 battery or its clsoe cousins is not Vanagon specific. It is used in many VWs and Audis. As battery manufacturers are consolidating many of the European batteries are becoming harder to find.

Many folks tie into the chassis battery for charging a house battery. One thing to note is that the chassis battery is fed by basically a number 10 wire from the alternator to the starter cable. This also carries the current for most of the vehicle loads. The battery is not the normal source of power when the engine is running, the alternator is. Thus, the wireing from the alternator needs to be upgraded or the charge line should be sourced from there. This also should be considered when looking for brighter lights and other auxillary loads. VW even realized the problem when they strted wiring the AC feed from the alternator.

If you are only looking for battery charging and support of reasonable loads, a #8 from the alternator will work very well. If looking to support a large inverter (1,000 watts +)consider a self resetting circuit breaker to limit current surges and protect the alternator from extended overload. I like to limit inverters on the stock alternator to 800 watts. At that point, I would go with #6 from the alternator to te battery.

If you also want to use the house battery as a boost for starting, then a minimum of #4 and the best connection will be at the starter lug. You also need to beef up the wiring between the starter lug and alternator, #4 or #2.

Dennis