Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 May 2008 07:44:50 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Battery Woes/Choice
Comments: To: RAlanen@aol.com

Hi Frank:

What are the specs on the flooded battery from Costco? I do not have the advantage of the solar panel when the engine is off, although in the land of the midnight sun, it would be a nice addition. I'm running some additional experiments as we speak. Have the odyssey and the main starter battery linked. It's down to 45°, so that the Atwood is running in addition to the DC fridge, and some lights for about an hour at half. From the resting voltage figures, I'm definitely going to need at least 100AH, and more wouldn't hurt. I have a hard time believing that a standard flooded battery would have this kind of capacity, although I can't deny the fact it's been working for you. I would be very curious to know your total power requirements. Also curious to know how you managed to fit a group 41 battery, and something like a solenoid or surepower into that space behind the driver seat.

Second, a standard flooded battery generally requires ventilation. How did you deal with this, or are you just not worried about it? I am still leaning towards a battery under the rear seat. I have a Subaru conversion installed, so no ECU taking up a bunch of space there and can get a pretty good-sized battery on the drivers side. I could then use that space behind the driver seat for some storage. Admittedly, attempted to remove the metal cover that's impossible to open unless you rotate the seat-- Hate that design!

Anyway, I'm assuming that you're running your solar collector while using this auxiliary battery or your power requirements are fairly low? Would be interested in learning more. From what I'm seeing, a 60AH battery is not going to cut it, unless it is supplemented with the main battery.

I'm also unclear as to how low you can bring the resting voltage without doing serious damage to the battery. AGM's can of course can be drained further than a flooded battery. Anyone know??

This souce (http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html) suggested 12.20 While Trojan suggest 11.96 see: http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/DeepCycleMaintenance.pdf

I'm assuming a 60% drain as maximum.

Troy

<< Troy and any others interested in this subject. I have said this before and here I go again. I use, have used and continue to use, for myself and all my customers, a Group 41, 42, 48 or 49, standard automotive battery as the aux battery under the drivers seat. I prefer the Kirkland battery from COSTCO because, first it is $82.35, price including taxes, paid last week at COSTCO in OTTAWA for a Group 41. Secondly because it is guaranteed, no questions asked, no tests, for 3 years. And thirdly that guarantee is good at ALL COSTCO locations in Canada, USA and Mexico. I spent this past winter in Mexico, 5-1/2 months, ZamoraBlog, stealth camping, using my aux battery, solar panel charger, WAECO 12v ~ 120v fridge setup, radio, lights and the battery is still performing flawlessly. BUT, when it grows week, as it will certainly do, I will just drop into a COSTCO and exchange it for a new one and keep on truckin'. This is my plan until someone comes up with a proper deep cycle battery of good AH rating that fits in that hole under the drivers seat.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli>>