Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 May 2008 20:30:31 -0400
From:         Doug Fitz-Randolph <fitzr@SUSCOM-MAINE.NET>
Subject:      How to "de-mouse" heater core before installing?

I'm in the process of replacing my leaky heater core. I've got a good used one which I removed from another van. It's in great shape, except that the van it came from had a mouse nest in the heater box. I flushed the heater core with hot water, then soaked it in Simple Green... and it still smells a little. I think soaking it in bleach solution might fix it, but I don't want to contribute to it corroding, and I would think exposing it to chlorine would be a bad thing. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

By the way, the whole dashboard and heater box removal thing was a lot easier than I'd anticipated - thanks to Joel, Neil and others who have contributed some excellent info on the subject. I lucked out on my van - the screws that hold the box to the body came out easily, and the heater box had already been opened in the past, so it was just a matter of removing the clips to separate the halves. I wish I could say the same for the parts van... I broke all 4 of the screws that hold the box to the front wall... with a just a phillips screwdriver. Either the screws were very weak, or I've got a lot stronger! I could not budge the infamous steering column bolts using vise-grips, but they came out very easily with my Sears bolt extractor - the kind with the flutes inside which you put over the head of a rounded-over nut or bolt - like buttah!

Anyhow - mouse experts - your input is most welcome!

Cheers, Doug Fitz-Randolph Freeport, ME