Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 May 2008 18:46:27 -0700
From:         Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cat/Muffler Too Low? (PICS)
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

neil N wrote: > Hi all. > My first hit is - not that bad. > But you are spekaing realitive to the body, which isn't your real concern..........what size rear tires to do your run. How tall is your rear suspensionh. > But why don't you tuck it up in there better ? > THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON that you shouldn't be using a variation of the dead stock diesel vanaogn exahsut system...........and that tucks up in there perfectly, and that's an inlie 4 just like yours. I seem to be the only engine conversion person saying this, but believe me, the engineering of the stock diesel vanagon exhasut system is DEAD PERFECT. > I have used that EXACT mounting system of many TD vanaogns.........differnt size pipes say, different muffler than DV, but the same mounts and concept, and never, ever any problem at all. I even get reporduction stock brackets, only more heavy duty ........made. > Look in your Bentley manual............and that layout ........is exactly what you want. Adapted somewhat for your ABA setup of course. It will look dorky below the body like that too - badly so. > > I know, i know it is SO much more effort to engineer it really 'perfectly.' I must spend 10 hours or more doing them......but it's really great when it works perfectly for a long time, looks right...........and................they way i make them............this is just copying the stock DV conept and layout - the entire exahsut system comes of in 20 minutes , by about 12 bolts !! > > Here's a tip - I get Volvo 'over axle' exahsut pipes.........like 240 or 740.........on front engine, straight rear axle cars, sometimes there is a U -shaped pipe that goes over the straight rear axle. I just buy those, but them into the curves i want, and make the 'compound S curve' that a DV uses...........you want the Exhasut it to go down, forward some , then turn under the left aluminum engine mounting bracket, then do a sharp U turn to meet the muffler going across the back. I just built that 'S curve' in sections using 'over axle' pipes for Volvos - the turbo one is bigger, i use a mix of them ( 740 turbo sedan ) . > I just tack weld it - I build 'in place'........take it off the van. weld it some more, test fit again........then i often have my welder finish weld it off realy well. I have driven my exahust systems that i've made this way for 70,000 miles with nary a thought about it ever.

I hope something comes to mind for you easily, Neil !