Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 May 2008 14:17:14 -0700
From:         Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hall Effect Sender? Speedo question
Comments: To: Mark Thoma <mpthoma2003@YAHOO.COM>

Sure seems like you ought to talk to VDO or the guys at egauges.com. I hope you didn't go to all the trouble of doing an immaculate retrofit installation before you knew that it could work.

it sounds to me like it's an electronic speedometer perhaps and not a mechanicals cable driven one. Never heard of any speedo that needed an 'hall affect sender' input myself.............but.....

Hall effect TYPE ..........yes, perhaps. . there is a Hall Effect device on your vanagon - in the speedometer, which is related to engine rpm, nothing to do with road speed of the vehicle..

for general info about electronic speedometers - many cars...............say 740 volvo's starting in the mid-80's...........went to an electronic speedometer from a mechanical cable system. The electronics system has no moving parts, is cheaper, lighter etc.

As engine management systems got more sophisticated ( As I put 90 and later Subaru engines in Vanagons, I could write pages and pages on how near pathetically crude an 83 to 91 Vanagon Fuel injection / engine management system is compared to a 1990 and up Subaru Legacy EJ22 and other , later more advanced subaru engins after that. )

what I am leading up to telling you.........is that those cars and engines use a VSS - Vehicle Speed Signal............... and..............how convenient, if they have an electronically driven speedometer from a device that's transmission driven and thus reflects real engine speed..................with that signal they car run at least 3 things - the speedo, use it for Cruise Control speed input, and provide a Vehicle Speed Signal to the engine management system.

if you haven't figured it out yet - perhaps a call to VDO or egauages.com good luck ! scott www.turbovans.com

Mark Thoma wrote: > Hey everyone, > Putting an aftermarket VDO speedo in my van and it requires a "Hall Effect Sender" input. What the???? The van is an '87 with the two part speedo cable that joins at a box. Ideas? > Mark > p.s. thanks in advance. > > >