Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:47:01 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Rotor Replacement
Comments: To: "Todd N. Sabin" <tnsabin@YAHOO.COM>

Todd, what you are calling "spacers" are actually races for the wheel bearings. No one sells new rotors for the Vanagon with the races installed. You can swap the old races into your new rotors if you have a hammer and a brass drift you can knock the old races out of the old rotors. There are notches in either side of the race that allow for this. If your old races have lines on them or the bearings have lines on them then you should replace the bearings and races with new ones along with new wheel seals and front nuts. We have these available on our site. No matter what you are going to need to install races in your new rotors. This can be done by you if you have some large sockets that are about the same size (a hair smaller in diameter) than the outside diameter of the races. You just use the large socket and a hammer to tap then down into the rotor until they bottom out. Be sure that the narrow end of the taper is facing up towards you so that you will be able to install the bearings when you are done. Or you can take the rotors to a machine shop and they can press the races in (should be pretty cheap and quick). Once you do this then you still have to properly pack your bearings. Get some rubber gloves and some wheel bearing grease that is made for front disc brakes. Now put a little on one hand and with the other hand hold the bearing with two fingers and press the bearing down into your other palm where the grease is. You want to push the grease in one side of the bearing so that it comes out the other side. If you do it right you will see little bumps of grease coming out of the opposite side of the bearing where it has pressed all the way through. Do this around the entire circumference of the bearing. Lightly smear grease on the bearing race and put a little in the area between the two bearings in the rotor (like four tablespoons). Install the inner bearing and then install the seal. Clean the stub that goes through the middle of the rotor. Now lightly smear it with wheel bearing grease. Slide the rotor into place. Now slide the outter bearing into the rotor. Install the large washer. Now put on the new front hub nut. You want to turn the rotor while you tighten this to be sure that nothing is binding up or getting cocked. Once you tighten it to the point where the rotor is getting a little hard to turn go about another 1/2 turn. Now slack off the nut just a little. Take a screw driver and try to push on the large washer that is in the center of the rotor. The "torque spec" on these front rotors is to keep loosening the nut a little at a time until you can just start to move the washer by pushing on it with the screw driver. Now peen the front hub nut above and below with a punch to lock the nut. Reinstall your grease cap and your rotor is completely installed.

Rotors should only be replaced in pairs. You should also replace your front brake pads at the same time. Be sure to clean and lube the guide pins for your caliper as well to ensure they slide well (86-91 Vanagon only).

I hope this helps. If I can supply any more parts for you please let me know.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Todd N. Sabin wrote: > I am replacing the rotors an my '88 Westy. Apparently, there are two "spacers" that I need to remove from within the rotor and put them in my new rotor. I thought this would be a common question and have searched this and The Samba's archive list, but haven't found anything addressing this issue and am tired of scrolling. > > I've been told from a friend that I need to go to a machine shop to do this. My questions are: Did I order rotors that should have had these already installed? Or, is there a way of doing this myself? > > Thanks for your help! > > Regards, > > Todd > '88 Westy > >