Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jun 2008 19:11:45 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Was: speaker rec..... Now:Ms Krall
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>

I bit the bullet and bought some $300 6" 3 way speakers from a french company by the name of Focal. They've held up very well over the past 6 or 7 years and have handled the 75 RMS w/channel of my power amp nicely. Dynamat in the doors did help, but building some carbon fiber stiifeners for the door panels was a win as well. I wish Klipsch made some old school car speakers, even though a pair of LaScalas would fit in the back of my van. 75 RMS would blow the windshield out of the frame if the back window didn't fail first! One of the problems with really good car speakers is that you now get to hear how bad your amplifier is either with distortion or the hum. At road speed not so much, but sitting still, yes.

I had a fantasy about Diana Krall riding shotgun in my Vanagon(RVC), but without the twins and Elvis Costello. The Hamilton Clayton Jazz Orchestra is awesome, and don't forget Anthony Wilson on the hollow body. The Jeff Hamilton Trio is another keeper from the good ol' days. would've never gotten into them if it hadn't been for watching and listening to them perform with Ms. Krall in Memphis back in 2002. My goodness, what an artist; and she keeps the glamorous thing going too. Four different microphones on that Steinway of hers.

One of the cool features of ebay's half.com is you can punch in an artist's name and half.com will find every CD or DVD that artist ever performed on and it includes imports likely not at your local Best Buy/ Sam Goody. Some unique collaborations have surfaced as a result. Then they tell you what's used out there, what's new and list each seller's price from cheapest to most expensive. Sometimes the new stuff is less than the used. And about half of the CD's listed have reviews listed after the run down of what songs are on the CD.

All this information of course, to enhance the driving pleasure of your Vanagon experience.

DM&FS "Music is my drug of choice"

At 09:55 PM 6/1/2008, Jake de Villiers wrote: >John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton are great jazz players, DB and drums >respectively. You can hear them on records with Benny Green, Diana Krall >and many more. > >On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 9:24 AM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Good point about the resistance of the speakers Jake. Something > > confirmed by Jeff's comment on power useage. Hadn't thought of that. > > > > I just figured something more durable that wouldn't eventually get > > beat up (like the speakers currently installed in the doors) and > > sounded decent, would fit the bill. > > > > True these speakers can lack low end. Placement is crucial. They were > > designed as "book shelf" speakers. The low end would be enhanced by > > proximity to the wall or ?. Not so easy to do when mounted down low in > > a Vanagon! --- :^) > > > > " John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton" ? > > > > Oh now I have to google...... and learn something! --- ;^) > > > > > > Neil. > > > > > > > > On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Jake de Villiers > > <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I honestly don't know why you'd do that Neil. > > > > > > Car stereos typically are looking for a 4 ohm load, not the 8 ohms that > > home > > > stereo loudspeakers provide. In addotion, your low end response will be > > > limited by the teeny enclosures rather than using the door cavity as a > > giant > > > speaker box. > > > > > > Its quite easy to mount 6" two way speakers in the front doors that will > > > outperform those little boxes, and they won't be pointed at your feet! > > :) > > > > > > I've got pix if you want......6" in the front doors, 5 1/4" in the > > overhead > > > cupboard, 10" sub with real power under the rear seat. John Clayton and > > > Jeff Hamilton sound great! > > > > > > On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:03 PM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > > >> > > >> Hi all. > > >> > > >> I've been thinking of installing a pair of RS Minimus 7 (aka Optimus > > >> PRO-X44AV) in my Westy. > > >> > > >> Anyone using these in their Vanagon? Opinions? > > >> > > >> Not sure yet how well they would fit below the dash. > > >> > > >> Sadly I only have one left. The other one got sold with my old truck > > >> the "blue flame". > > >> > > >> Anyone know where to get them new? > > >> > > >> I used them as home stereo speakers, and for a short while, as > > >> reference monitors for audio recording. For what they were, they > > >> sounded quite good to me. And they were well built, and stood up well. > > >> > > >> Just curious, > > >> > > >> Neil. > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> -- > > >> Neil Nicholson. 1981 Jetta-fied Westfalia - "Jaco" > > >> > > >> http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Jake > > > 1984 Vanagon GL > > > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > > > Crescent Beach, BC > > > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > > > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 > > > > > > > > -- > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Jetta-fied Westfalia - "Jaco" > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > > > > >-- >Jake >1984 Vanagon GL >1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" >Crescent Beach, BC >www.crescentbeachguitar.com >http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27