Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:56:12 -0700
From:         Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cookies and Credit
Comments: To: Zoltan Kuthy <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Zoltan, you mentioned 'stainless' the other day. And you're working on your battery area i beleive - if you are going to use a stainless bolt and nut on a battery cable clamp, I don't see how you can get in trouble that way. And i'm not going to write the whole thing right now - but there are MANY things not right about stainless steel.

it is best where the two primary requirements are nice appearance and corrosion resistence, like tubular sail boat railings for example, it's also light when you used that way too.

but.......it's not magnetic. I would never in a million years use a stainless fastnerer - -screw, bolt, nut, washer - on an engine - cause if you drop it .......it could get it some place where it could do serious damage and you can't fish it out with a magnet.

I should take the time to look in my two reference books right here........ but i'll just say, it's not maleable like normal steel, it's not a strong as regular steel, it cracks. It's horrible to drill. Even drilling through a 15 thousands sheet is hard work with a cobalt drill bit. If a stainless bolt ever broke off in a block..........you bascailly could not repair that by drilling and taping.

notice it's not used by manufacturers of cars. I can think of two applications if 50 makes of cars- the DeLorean car's skin ( I actually know John DeLorean's niece btw ) ....... and D series Citroen bumpers..........

It appears that people think stainless steel is this magic 'titanium' or something - that it's super strong, that it can rust or corrode. There are more than one alloy types of stainless, btw..............or 10 types or more. I should check what exact grade and alloy stainless bolts are made of ........... but you will not find me using them usually- i'd much rather use a steel bolt with good german Wurth brand copper-based anti-seize on the theads.

btw...........stainless steel welds really nicely with the right equipment . But it doesn't drill well, it can't be cut nicely with a torch .......it's kinda wierd- and only is right for certain applications - like surgical instument, medical talbles, commecial kitchen work surfaces ......... it also costs a lot. anyway, just want to dispel any myths that it is 'the solution' .............it's not at all. Really good workmanship with quality materials is 'the solution.' I rarely put a bolt or screw into anythign without something on the threads - teflon paste from the hardware store ( that makes water pump and t-stat cover screws come out just fine 8 years later , Or red Hicg Tack gasket sealter - prevents corrosion and has an anti-vibration affect. Or anti-seibe compound, copper based, or lock tite on certain serious bolts on engines....... Dry threads is just gross i think, 90 % of the time. And stainless fasteners - they're a bit scary to me. if they screw up, you are really screwed, and they are not any kind of magic bullet, not even slightly. scott

Zoltan Kuthy wrote: > That made me burst out laughing. Hahahaha. > Z > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Lee Peterson" <iridewheelies@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 7:47 PM > Subject: Re: Cookies and Credit > > >> I never eat the cookies until the parts are installed. It's a small >> "carrot >> on a stick" to get me out to work on the van. >> >> I'm ashamed to admit that there are currently two unopened packages of >> cookes in my garage :-( >> >> >> >> >> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Peter T. Owsianowski >> <pnoceanwesty@gmail.com> >> wrote: >> >>> Hear hear! >>> >>> Good vendors make the bus experience better! >>> >>> -- >>> Pete >>> '79 Westy "Aardvark" >>> '87 Westy "Joe's Van" >>> WWW. Busesbythebeach.com >>> >>> >>> On 6/1/08, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: >>> > >>> > They're good people at VolksCafe! >>> > >>> > > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > -- >>> > Jake >>> > 1984 Vanagon GL >>> > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" >>> > Crescent Beach, BC >>> > www.crescentbeachguitar.com >>> > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 >>> > >>> >> >> >> -- >> No virus found in this incoming message. >> Checked by AVG. >> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.24.4/1474 - Release Date: >> 5/30/2008 >> 7:44 AM >> >> > >