Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:09:10 -0700
Subject:      Project Volksmogen is well under way!
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

My Volksmogen project is experiencing progress! For those who do not know, I am installing Unimog 406 axles on my 1993 Volkswagen LT 4x4.

As of this night, the front axle is in place and the pinion angle is set - tomorrow we do the final welding and then I start to focus on mounting the rear axle.

Still lots of stuff to do, steering, brake lines, shock mounts, drive shafts, air compressor with tanks and regulators to control the differential locks, water fording system and the ability to run air tools - a lot of work!

I went from 25cm of ground clearance to 38cm of ground clearance under the differential - the joy of porthole axles! This past weekend I picked up some 11.00R20 Michelin XZL tires (Currently BFG ATs 285/65R20). These 43" tall tires should bring the ground clearance to 48cm which is the same a the U1300/435 Unimog...

Now... to figure out of to use the other set of 406 axles and the Audi 5000 Quattro drive train that I have here to make the ultimate T3 off roader... hmmm... :-)

Photo of the beast as it sits tonight can be seen here: http://www.hasenwerk.ca/lt45doka/unimogaxles/unimogfrontaxleinplace.jpg

The URL for the project is here: http://www.hasenwerk.ca/lt45doka/unimogaxles

Yes, I'm going to need a step ladder to get into this puppy! :-p

David Marshall

http://www.hasenwerk.ca Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2

Engine Conversion FAQ - http://www.hasenwerk.ca/faq