Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jun 2008 23:07:37 -0700
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Optima Blue D31M

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:35:05 -0700 From: M'obeechi <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM> Subject: Optima Blue D31M

Previously some posters made me have second thoughts on Trojan batteries. I've seen a number of posts here on the Optima, and don't remember any bad ones. ----snip------------ These specs for the Blue appear the same as for the Commercial Yellow Top. The Blue has two sets of posts on the top.

So are Optima hype or the ulitimate?=20

Not sure if they charge as well with a solar panel... ------------------------- Dear Monseigneur Obeechi,

Like all-things spiritual, battery specifications require delicate and special handling for them to make any relative material-sense in the temporal world of Vanagons. Further my-son, having second thoughts around anything in Vanagonland is quite a normal and very human activity. While I'm being somewhat glib and sarcastic, I do have some considerable experience utilizing Optima(s) in my auxiliary battery bank.

As previously posted, the Vanagon-list gives Optima Batteries a "mixed" review at best. I eschew most of the detractors as not matching their current-loads to an appropriately sized battery-bank and not boosting-up the mediocre Vanagon Charging System. These two oversights will/have kill(ed) more batteries than Optima has ever manufactured. Size your Optima to your load requirements and charge it within the manufacturers specifications.... it will remain happy and provide years (eight in my case) of service. Mess-up with any of the above and you're doomed to battery-hell and out a whole pile of hard-earned alms!

Regarding your specific questions: The differences between Optima Blue & Yellow Tops (other than their respective colours) is small. Optima's own product literature is confusing, at best, to most mortals and some reading between-the-lines is required to gain the clearest understanding of their subtle differences.

The Blue Tops are dual-purpose Starting/Deep Cycle batteries, primarily for use in Marine applications. Those nifty dual-posts on-top easily hook-up to standard automotive tapered-lugs and those 3/8" diameter cool stainless-steel threaded posts, easily allow/accept accessory wires with ease. The Blue Top, also carries a Cranking-Amp Specification.

The Yellow Top is primarily a Deep Cycle battery. They can be utilized for engine-starting (sez Optima's own product literature) but not specifically designed for this application. They do not carry a Cranking-Amp specification. Just for fun, I tested a Yellow-Top battery with a digital battery tester. The tester would not give a Cranking-Amp readout when hooked-up.... it read zero or the read-out flashed ERROR! The tester did give a Reserve Capacity read-out though. Same tester on a Blue-Top gave a Cranking-Amp value and a Reserve Capacity read-out. Pretty cool, these digital test-equipment things..... 8-) How the hell does it know the difference? (Mr Mike... Rocket J. Squirrel you still reading Vanagon or busy moving to Bend, Oregon?) Sorry Mgr. Obeechi, I'm digressing as usual.

Are Optima's hype or the ultimate? Well your Grace, I'm gonna side with the conservatives on this one. They are neither! They are rather high-priced though. As many have previously posted, one can buy 4-6 Wally World (or equivalent) Group 41 Wet-Cells for the price of one Optima. Will an Optima last 4-6 times longer? Perhaps but.... depends-on how each is used in-service and the discharge/charge cycles the battery suffers under. An Optima, will survive multiple deep-discharges and return to service (with appropriate Charging). A standard Group 41 Starting battery will not survive this torture. Further, An Optima will-not (under most circumstances) never leak or out-gas in or onto your beloved Vanagons' painted surfaces.... Battery Acid is a great paint-stripper... BTDT.

Charge well on a Solar Panel you ask? With an appropriate Charge-Controller, any AGM (Optima or others) will charge just great. Probably better than on the Stock Vanagons' Charging System with its dirty current and low side of optimal voltage out-put. One key fact of Optima's not getting along with the Vanagon's charging System is the low-voltage (13.8 volts) out of the stock Alternator Voltage-Regulator. This will kill an Optima in a matter of months or lead-to only mediocre battery discharge capacity!

Three possible (out of many) ways around this problem. First, beef-up the wire between the Alternators' (B+ term) and the Starter-Solenoids' Lug (Term-30). If charging an auxiliary battery from the stock wire from the dash fuse-panel via the stock-rely in the Aux-Batt-Box, best to either stay with a Group 41 Wet-Cell Battery or plan on doing some significant wiring up-grades.

Begin at the source... The Alternator Voltage-Regular. Secondly, Change to a Bosch off-alternator (remote) adjustable regular. Adjust the out-put to 14.2 volts or so (your Optima or other AMG batteries will LOVE this kick in voltage). This may boil your Wet-Cell Starting Battery so, do this with all appropriate cautions. Best to keep the Starting-Batterys' electrolyte level, just over the plates.... not a smidgeon more... you have been warned.... OK?

Thirdly, I personally recommend the Sure-Power Isolator (Flame me Dennis). This box bye-passes the Alternators' regulator and substitutes its own regulator into the charging system. Sure, one loses about 0.2 volts too heat, due to the blocking diodes inside the Isolator but more than compensates for this loss buy upping the charging voltage to the batteries, to 14.5 volts! With 14.5 volts, your AGM battery(s) are charging the way they were made to perform.... Anything less than this Mgr. your wasting your valuable time and money...... YMMV

As always with kind and loving regards The reverend-father

Phil Z. '87 Westie Campbell River, BC