Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:01:47 -0700
From:         Aaron <a.robinson.lists@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: wi-fi extenders

I used to use a bridge to connect to campus wireless from an outlying campus parking lot when I was living in the van for a semester. I had to keep the VOIP phone going to make calls to my wife while she was overseas!

The Bridge http://www.wlanparts.com/product/EL-2611CB3-PLUS/Senao_NL2611CB3_Plus_Deluxe_Wireless_Client_Bridge__Access_Point_200mw.html

With a directional antenna http://www.wlanparts.com/product/ZZ-R2T24-19/24GHz_19dBi_RooTenna_Compartment_Antenna.html

And appropriate pigtail (to connect antenna with bridge).

I then had an ethernet connection in the van that worked just fine with my laptop. The bridge associated with the wireless network and my laptop then used it just like a wired connection. It wasn't seamless as I sometimes had to select the access point SSID (in the bridge config pages) and tune the antenna direction, but it worked from 1/4+ mile away from the nearest building. The highly directional antenna had to be mounted in the window behind the closet just right. But once it was working, it worked great. An onmidirectional or less directional antenna would probably suffice in most areas. Also, since it was a wireless to ethernet bridge, I wasn't using wireless on the laptop. This bridge didn't do that at the time. it may now, but I don't know. I would call and ask what they recommend...

Oh yeah, I was also using an inverter, but it could probably be run off of the van's 12V as the power supply was 12V as well.

Aaron '85 Westfalia