Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jun 2008 00:41:55 -0700
From:         Scott Foss - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What about replacing Vanagon engines with more fuel efficient
              ones?
Comments: To: "Katherine J. Maas" <kathmaas@TELUS.NET>

Hi Katherine - the short answer is 'yes.' If staying with gasoline ( and there is not much advantage of a diesel engine these days over a gasoline engine if you go by miles per dollar, rather than miles per gallon - a diesel or TD in a vanagon might only be a half mile per dollar better. - to put miles per dollar into perspective for you..............a 20 mpg Vehicle using $ 4.00 USD gasoline in US gallons- that's 5 miles per dollar . Not that much ! )

And there are lots of disadvantages to diesel engines, particularily VW ones - and exactly 4 advantages only. ( And I did 'Turbo Diesel Vanagon' for quite a while - been to Tonfino , Vancouver Island BC that way even )

so I'm into Subaru engines in Vanagons these days. A sweet 91 to 94 Legacy type Subaru 2.2 engine can do, rather than say 19ish mpg ( US gallons ) it can do more like 23ish. Even a bit more. They are pretty expensive to have done professionally though. And they are just fantastically rewarding to drive compared to a waterboxer engine. They really run a good 45 % better - just in every way. But that's one solution. Scott www.turbovans.com

Katherine J. Maas wrote: > Iıve recently resumed active daily reading of the Vanagon postings, after a > long period of overwork, and I find fascinating the discussions of how the > fuel crisis is (or not) going to impact our ability to continue to enjoy our > vehicles. I was reflecting on this myself recently during a two-week camping > trip from Calgary to the west coast of Vancouver Island. The mileage I get > on my 87 Westy used to be very attractive! But less so now that it costs me > $65+ to fill my tank. It certainly made me a bit less prodigal than I > normally am in my tooling about once reaching my final destination. > > Iım wondering whether replacing the engine with something more fuel > efficient might not be the answer. Has anyone tried this? Even if your > intention was not at the time to go for fuel efficiency, did you replace > your engine with something that ended up being more fuel efficient? What was > the replacement engine? Who did the work (I will definitely NOT be doing > mine)? Was it hard to find someone to do this? Hard to find the engine? And > how are you enjoying the results? Are you glad you did it? What are the > advantages, disadvantages? > > Katherine & Vanita (87 Westy) > > >