Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jun 2008 18:32:24 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Japanese Westy

> the land is filling up with used imports ... > ironic isnt it ... that north america would become not only the > breeding > ground for new sales > but also import of used vehicles ...

Nothing wrong with that... New Zealand new-car sales were overtaken by used-import sales many years ago (in the 80s). The cars coming used from Japan are generally in mint condition, though they aren't bringing in many cars older than 1996 now.

> and the way i hear it ... the 16 years old is not only to avoid duty > but > also cause in japan and a few other places vehicles older than a > certain > year are no longer allowed on the road ..or to be sold or what ever > configuration of the law required to engage planned obsolescence ... > but wait before we all go running to jump into these lovely creatures

No NO NO!!! They are NOT "no longer allowed on the road" in Japan. The registratiuon costs skyrocket when the car exceeds 6 years of age. It is certainly as protection racket for the manufacturers, but the cars remain legal at any age.

> .. the > right hand drive is posing a problem for icbc (insurance corp of BC ) > the > government owned and operated vehicle insurance program ... > http://www.icbc.com/library/research_papers/right-hand-drive_vehicles/index.

There are hazards involving use of wronghanded vehicles (mainly overtaking if you can't see over the overtaken vehicle, which is where vans are better than sedans); however in Britain LHD cars are legal and extremely common.

> ... they are also a much narrower interior cockpit cabin space > the distance between the door and the seat is minimal ... > etc ...

3rd & 4th-generation Hiaces are wider than Delicas and the seats are well away from the door (it's 4th-gen ones being imported into Canada). 5th-gen LWB Hiaces are much wider (SWB ones are about the same width as earlier models).

The van shown at the start of the thread is a MWB. LWB 3rd & 4th-gen Hiaces are considerably roomier and are instantly recognizable by the extra small window just behind the slider on the left, and in single-slider vans the blank slider track groove location on the right.