Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:04:44 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What years power steering?
Comments: To: Dennis Sarriugarte <dsarri@HUGHES.NET>

I must say that adding PS is such an improvement - I would go so far as to say if the gas tank is out on a 2WD "keeper'' Vanagon, , and used good used Power r Steering pipes are available, it would be wise to put those in during the fuel tank R & R process. Because........in that case, doing the 'rest of it' - both ends.... the Steering Rack part, and the Engine and PS pump part after that would be really easy.

Since 83's never had PS..........two adviements if converting that year.............one, a couple of small areas of metal need to be cut out of the lip or ridge on the inside of the frame rail near the filler neck area. The PS pipes need to pass through these cut outs , so a small amount of metal cutting is needed. two spots about an inch by an inch each.

And if you have real 1983 cylinder heads on your 1.9 waterboxer............where the PS Pump bracket mounts to the right cylinder head, the bosses are cast into the head there for three mounting bolts, but they are not drilled or taped. But it's not hard to do, even with the engine in the van. The bracket itself makes a fine templet even. Just don't drill to deeply into the head !

If I ever get out of 'engine conversion and vanagon restoration, preservation, and upgrade' full time work - I 'could' or might offer kits of parts or at least comprehensive written or on DVD instructions.

Scott Daniel Foss - turbovans

MORE .........VANAGONS I am in the process of getting ready to SELL to 'the right person' -

And these will be serviced and 'healed' and upgraded and lubed and whatever from one end to the other ....... .......fanatically 'made really right' - not one tiny spot of rust, not one un-lubed moving part. Like ready to leave for Alaska when you buy it .........or I will tell you what is not perfect on it , all new fluids, synthetic transmission oil, etc. etc.

the first one is the closest to being ready to sell. Perhaps 30 hours work ( which with me, can turn into 75 hours work cause I can't stand not to improve or repair everything in any area I am working on ) These are all essentially rust free and quite straight bodies, and *fully* sorted out . Price-wise, lower end of the scale currently would be around $ 7,000 from there, 'depending' : ( all of these can be had with engine of your choice.........Subaru, VW turbo diesel etc...........just depends on what you are willing to invest - Zetec anyone ? I'd love to do one for someone. Lotta bang for the buck with those I'm pretty sure too ! ) These vans all have or will all have 'real' Vanagon rated tires, if not I'll tell you. I'll tell you about anything that's not really right on any van I sell. :

1983 WESTY. Southwest 'Soft Red' color. 2.1 wbxr engine with only about 40,000 miles on a full real rebuild - it's unusually tight - you can tell it's not a waterbxoer with 200K miles on it and new heads - it's a real full rebuild. Runs quite strongly for a waterboxer too/ . 4 speed. Perfect tent on pop-top. Probably will get 'Recarro type' red and black front seats in front. Passenger's seat swivelsaround. Westy kitchen. . New Hella dash-mounted map reading light. and much more.

1985 Hi Top ADVENTUREWAGON . 'tangerine dream' orangey tan color - really good looking. Fully dent free. Southern California car. Appears to have never even been eaten in, smoked in, or kids or pets in it. Currently stock 1.9 wbxr engine. Might get A 2.1 depending on what I get together for it. Has PS. Front AC. Full AW interior, but some of it is probably going to get re-arranged. Superb Aerodynamics ( I really should put my rap on my site about how special the AW is in this regard ) ...........A LOT to love in this Great Land Yacht of a very quietly driving, 'world class' camper/adventurer Vanagon . Hella dash-mounted map reading light and any special embellisments through out that I can come up with. I even put in soft red LED cockpit floor lighting sometimes.

1983 5 SPEED SUNROOF DIESEL VANAGON Two tone, orangey-red on the bottom, pale yellow on top. Very very rare combo - diesel, 5 speed, sunroof. Can get up to 30 mpg. Very straight body, GL interior.

btw .................A 5 speed in a vanagon absolutely *transforms* a Vanagon,.................especially in the 45 and up speed ranges. I mean, when have you ever *downshifted* a Vanagon going into a big hill at 65 mph !!? ..........Dennis can easily in his AW......... You don't sit there going into a big hill watching the speed bleed off from 75 down to 50, then finally down shift and hope you can chug over the the hill at 50 in 3rd with a 4 speed. IF you have decent enough power.........Dennis 1.9 wbxr AW has about almost 90 hp..........you fly into it at 75 say.........and down shift into 4th pretty soon, and hold much better speed going up a big grade.

1982 Collectible Grade 82 SUNROOF DIESEL VANAGON Two tone , brighter yellow ( like egg yellow almost ) on the bottom, pale yellow on the top. Has only done 4,000 miles for each of it's 26 years of life. There are about 2 and half tiny, tiny dings in this van - like 'barely' any. West coast car, not a speck of rust on it. I have kept it stored indoors in a dry climate the last 2.5 years. I can get this van to totally showroom condition. It comes with the salesman's business card that sold it in Portland, OR, it comes with the original side window sticker listing the equipment and prices for each - the Sunroof is a $ 595 option, for example. . I am half way through a ring and valve job on the engine. Clutch is new. It has towing tabs welded on under the front bumper - which means it wasn't driven all the miles of it's life too.

Those are the 4 'hot ones' I have currently. next down the list is a.........

Silver 86 GL VANAGON , auto trans, 2.1 engine. A friend of mine might want it ........he's driving an 85 GL he just loves, but would like to move up ...............but it's not done yet.......but it is for sure for sale. Decent low miles, 130K max, very straight body. PS and AC.

Last.............84 GL VANAGON ............, 'Yard Dog' .............dark gray. Works. 1.9 wbxr engine, 4 speed, AC.........it would only be about $ 2,500 max BUT the engine, trans, and shift linkage for converting either an Auto trans vanagon to manual trans for better fuel economy or for possible use in a diesel vanagon ..........and the improved 83 and up radiator - which is a great upgrade to an 82 diesel vanagon ...............all those are good useful parts..........so this van would have to be at least $ 1,500 too 2, 000.

ALSO.............I just discovered this 84 the other day. Very straight body - two tone, light blue on the bottom, white on the top. 4 speed. 1.9 wbxr. Trailer hitch. Supposed to have a transmission problem. it would be about 950 dollars as is. No rust at all. Rather good looking too. Let me know if you want me to grab this one either for parts or as a runner. I haven't heard the engine run yet though.

and Dennis has an 84 VANAGON he'd sell I believe. It's. . here with me in Southern Oregon.- Not running, but 'it's all there' .........$ 1K at the most I imagine. His call of course. Named 'Bruinhilda' - BH we call it. or her.

***** and........also...............86 WESTY - Champlain Gold 4 speed. .............Really good looking, two tiny dings only . Was repainted. Local people had had it listed for $ 9,000 , then lowered it to $ 7,500............I went and looked at it...............it 'drives OK'...........but actually is down a good 5,000 or more in repairs, noisy transmission, wrong tires, both tables missing, alternator just about to fall off the engin, engien didn't run that well,.................they're moving to the other end of the country any day, haven't talked to them for a month. it might be available yet. They are pretty desperate I believe. I should call them actually. but I know they'd take $ 3K for it.........they have no intention of keeping it or driving it to the east coast..........and they didn't sound like they had anyone to leave it here with.

later ya all !

that's all for now folks ! scott turbovans

Dennis Sarriugarte wrote: > I have an 83.5 Adventurewagen with power steering...thanks to Scott Foss. What a difference it makes! He also updated > the whole front suspension for me and words won't describe the amazing transformation it has made on this moving condo. > I don't remember what it cost because it was included in a large job...but it is worth every penny. Every time I drive > it I think thoughts of appreciation for Scott's work. > Dennis > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Steve Cotsford > Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 4:05 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: What years power steering? > > Well, thanks for the insight Guys. > The camper I used to have was indeed a wolfy as it had the badges on the > side and I'm pretty sure it did have power steering. It was right at the change > over to waterboxers and had Digijet injection. I may be remembering the year > wrongly, perhaps it was 83 1/2. I had the thing for 4 years and I know all > about the phosphate free VW coolant so I can assure you it was water cooled. > Besides, I replaced the water pump on it. It was a dark brown with a light brown > upper half and the poptop was the same light brown colour. Brown dash, > mirrors etc, Nice cloth upholstery too, sort of brown and white and the front > seats rotated. > I wish I still had it after seeing what it would be worth today. > It had a/c in the back and I ducted it up to the front and installed a > ducting in the front ceiling from a passenger van. > Anyhow, I think I will be looking round for something definitely with PS as > I think the effort required when parking would give my wife trouble. > What years did they have the rear bench that folded down to make a bed? > The one I saw yesterday had a folding rear bench but it folded forward. It was > actually an 83 I believe. > > Thanks for your help, > Steve > > > In a message dated 6/7/2008 1:44:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > syncro@GMAIL.COM writes: > > On 6/6/08, Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> I'm sure some models, like Woofy Westies only game with PS. - an 84 is >> like that I believe. >> > > > I have an late production 84 NON-Wolfy with powersteering. I was pleasantly > surprised to find that out > two years after buying the van. Apparently not all Wolfies got them > either. My buddy just acquired > an 84 Wolfy which does not have PS. We could find no trace that it ever had > PS. > > PS was on all 2.1 wbxr engineded- Vanagons and Syncro's from 86 and up. > >> scott >> > > > This would be on US spec Vanagon only. My 89 Syncro has no PS. My 88 > Canadian 2.1 had no PS. > Have an 85 German Syncro -- no PS there. In Japan they called some T4's > Vanagons so you can't > argue on the basis of the name "Vanagon". I don't think they were ever > called that in Europe or RSA. > > > > BenT > > > > > > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food. > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002) > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG. > Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.0.0/1489 - Release Date: 6/7/2008 11:17 AM > > >