Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jun 2008 19:32:04 -0400
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Better MPG or snake oil - baking soda voodoo
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <macgroup@comcast.net>

The idea must be that the overal combustion efficiency is increased, not just that you're also burning the hydrogen. So you put in X energy to split the water into H2 and O2, get almost X back by burning the hydrogen, but also get an efficiency boost in the burning of your regular gasoline, which, I guess if big enough, could make a significant difference.

At this point, I don't believe in it. The water4gas site just sells books, not actual devices. If this thing was real, somebody could put together a high-quality set of kits for a few common vehicles, get a bit of positive press, and with some good word of mouth, make a total fortune. You'd be hearing about it from your neighbors and seeing it on national TV, not hearing about it every 6 months or so over the Vanagon list---at least that's my guess. I realize the oil companies would not be into this development, but the conspiracy can only reach so far... word would still get around!

Of course, its possible that this is the real deal and what I'm talking about just hasn't had time to happen yet. In that case, it should happen within a few weeks, at most. So, I'd rather wait around for a few weeks and see if it really is a big deal, rather than spend $100 for a book that is almost certainly not going to teach me how to build a useful fuel-saving hydrogen cell for my vanagon.

I just drive slow.

-Wes