Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:20:21 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Installing a slider window
Comments: To: Troy <colorworks@gci.net>

On 6/10/08, Troy <colorworks@gci.net> wrote: > > I've installed a slider window in a Westy once, and ended up tearing a > little bit of the gasket, but counted my blessings that's the worst that > happened. Tried to install another one today, and after tearing one corner > of the rubber, I gave up in frustration. > > I completely saturated the rubber seal in Vaseline. Lubed the inside of the > grove as well. I took a piece of 3/16" nylon clothesline (also coated in > Vaseline) and put that into the window gasket channel. I overlapped the > clothesline by 3 or 4 inches . I inserted the bottom of the window first, > letting the metal of the window go inside the groove. I then worked my way > all the way around the window, pushing the rubber in as far as it would go. > I even used a couple of squeeze clamps at the corners so the rubber did not > pop out as I was working the rest of the window in. > > Everything seemed to be going fine, up until a point I got about two thirds > of the window installed, but the rope became so tight that I ended up > snapping it in two. My white Westy also looks pretty sick with all the black > rubber marks all over it too!. I used some paint thinner to finally get > everything cleaned up, as even windex would not take the stuff off. > > So, I'm sure the glass shops all over the world pop these things in in 15 > or 20 minutes, what I'm I doing wrong? I'm thinking of just running this > over to an automotive windshield repair place at this point, what would be a > reasonable cost for the service? > > Window installation challenged and stained black to the pores... > > Troy

Troy,

As others have mentioned, warm the rubber in the sun or at least work in warm conditions when possible. Otherwise, a hair dryer can help.

You might want to start the cord from the top middle. Overlap the cords. Don't worry about mounting the gasket completely flush until the whole perimeter is over the metal lip. For the corners, it would help if you use one of those windshield installation tools that look like awls that are fashioned into a hook. If you can't get those, use a nice smooth (worn edges) screwdriver as a substitute. Once the gasket edges are in, just push firmly from the outside to seat the assembly or even use a rubber mallet to pound around the edges. I would not worry too much about cracking the glass as they are tempered. I've kicked them hard in the removable process and had not broken a single one in dozens of operations.

BenT