Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:02:06 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Speed bleeders?  Not me

Personally, I wouldn't use speed bleeders. Just one more possible failure point in a pretty darn important system...brakes and clutches. If you get done bleeding the system and you still have a spongy pedal.. Which one might be leaking air..? And now, is that pesky piece of grit that held open the ball valve of the speed bleeder gone? Inside? Outside? Don't need that...

They are not used on racecars (much) for obvious reasons. If it were me looking to make bleeding clutch and brakes simpler, I'd get a power bleeder, which is nothing more than a glorified weed sprayer bottle with some tubing and the right cap to fit your brake fluid reservoir.....Motive is the brand name of the one I use. Put in (to the Motive pressure bottle) fresh hydraulic fluid and screw the cap onto your brake fluid reservoir. Pressurize the bottle by pumping it up and it will send fresh fluid running into the system as you open your bleeder screws, starting with the furthest one from the reservoir..When you see no more bubbles and you're getting clean fluid, close the valve/screw and go on to the next. no extra moving parts, no ball valve to not seat exactly right or anything. You can do the whole system in about 1/2 an hour with the van up on jackstands. Wheels can even stay on but it's easier to take off the left rear to get the clutch slave..

Don Hanson