Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:03:19 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speed bleeders?  Not me
Comments: To: Mike S <mikes@flatsurface.com>

I get how they are supposed to work. The problems I've seen and heard of come when they do get dirt into the ball valve seat or a spring fails. The bleed-quality is depending on those little balls and springs being able to give a perfect seal between each stroke of the pedal.. You push down, fluid is forced out, then the ball valve is supposed to close while the pedal goes back up..."Supposed to" being the key words. Dirt sometimes is in the way. If it doesn't close 100% each and every time on every stroke for each wheel over the life of the speed bleeder, you get air into the fluid. It sucks! (pun) If you open the valve during a normal bleed, you are supposed to close it before you release the pedal. With a Power bleeder in place, you have "outward" flow from the time you open the bleed screw until you close it. Unless you have a tiny Salmon-dirt that can swim upstream, dirt can't go against that positive outward flow.. Maybe I am just anal, but I am loath to add complexity to a system like brakes without any real reason. The Power Bleeder systems do what the speed bleeders say they do..make bleeding hydraulics a one man job. The Speed bleeders have been known to NOT... Who knows who made that particular set of springs and balls in the speed bleeders you will be depending on to stop your van.. During my racing "career", I saw a few races lost because of those things...Never saw any dead guys as a result of speed bleeders, but I did see some pretty pissed-off drivers who thought they should have good brakes and ended up not.. Don Hanson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike S" <mikes@flatsurface.com> To: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@GORGE.NET> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:53 PM Subject: Re: Speed bleeders? Not me