Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jun 2008 01:33:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: NVC--wife's car dies at idle
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

I would treat it as just a 'weak idle' ................ and don't get drstracted yet about the electrical load making it die easier at idle. A car like this should be VERY smart about keeping it's idle right.......... it can be 'smart' enough, in the Electronic Idle control that it can easily compensate for additional loads at idle, whether from incresed electrical load, or say power steering load like when parrallel parking.

also.............you should know...............might not be by 1990...........but with an Acura it's possible........... some mondern honda's don't even charge the battery with the alternator at idle unless 'The Brain' thinks it's neccesary.

I'd check the function of ...........surely it must have Electronic Idle Control- I'd check for a sticky valve etc.

What the 'real problem' is though Jim..............from a real diagnostic point of view you most likely don't really .. A.....under stand all the systems at work very well. B. don't have a way to test them or determine if they are or are not working.

it's like one just reaches a block............... the Very Simplest Case of a diagnostic procedure is : Take a Tail Lite out. withour realizing it your brain immediately comes up with a hypothesis about what could be the cause of a non-working tail light. the typical brain comes up with 'burnt out bulb.. So that's parts A & B of step One. Step Two is to test your hypothesis ......... how to do that ? ..........one crude way is try a known good or new bulb. That's Step Two ..............testing your 'theory' of why the tail liight isn't working. Other teest you could do besides trying a new or known good bulb would be - test the old bulb on a battery with jumper wires . - check for voltage in the bulb socket - check the fuse of the circuit...........

etc. my point is............in a system that we are not familiar with............we can't do this process very well. you 'tried' to by trying a new battery and new alternator - but that was just a vague 'hope; guess.

I would at leas look at the electronic air idle valve - it shoul have one ..............all 86 and up 2.1 waterboxer vanagons do. all 90ish Golf's / Jettas do. all 90 and later Subaru's do. my 88 740 turbo volvo sedan does.

the first and very crude test of the electronic idle valve..........this is on a 2.1 waterboxer, you turn on the key ( which does NOT mean start the engine ) ........then feel the valve to see if it's humming. On a waterboxer there are only two parts - the valve, and the Control Unit. The price of the control unit is .........prohibitilve. On an Acura I would expect it to be incorpartated into the main ECU.

what is the first year of Acura ? I have ................a Genuine Acura Shop Model - when that model came out ............it was a Big Deal..........the Acura Legend. It was like Honda's Mecerdes Accord - this quite thick Shop Manual even came in every car I think. and it is SO DETAILED...... they show a physical layout drawing of each and every wiriing harness in the whole car in this book. there is just one systsem they don't talk about ...............Air Bags - air bags were very new that year and they didn't want people messin' with them so every last system is covered in detail. Very, very thouroughly. You should buy this manual from me. Might take me a while to find it, but I am doing a 150 hour full shop re-organization and remodel- I still have about 15 boxes of papers, old brochures and car magazines and a collection of perhaps a 120 or so Repair Manuals for all manner of foreign cars. I'm sure i have it yet. it would be like a Bentley.........only better - ,much better. . scott www.turbovans.com

Jim Felder wrote: > I've been having the worst time with my wife's 90 Acura Legend. The thing > drives fine, but when she's in traffic or cruising slowly through parking > lots, say, the car dies. It doesn't do it unless there is some drain on the > battery like the AC fan or lights. > The car has a new battery and a new alternator in an attempt to fix this > nagging problem. This is taking money and time away from my 90 vanagon which > has even worse problems. > > I'm asking here for ideas because I don't know who else to ask. > > Thanks, > > Jim > > >