Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:22:13 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: cylinder heads for my 84 westy

$150 for a pair of used but in good condition heads is sure a good alternative while a new pair costs anywhere from $800 - $1000. As long as there are no cracks you can do a good valve job on them yourself and they will work very well for many more years to come.

If you still have some budget after spending the $150 you may want to consider a new liner set from Cofap. This has proven to be critical to my engine I worked on last year. Before I replaced the liners my 83.5 was powerless and consumed oil. It still had fairly reasonable gas mileage but strangely enough that it was very poor in climbing any hills.

I pulled the engine, did a valve job myself and put in a new set of liners. After 3k - 4k miles of breaking-in the engine is back to normal. It went to Yosemite and back last month and averaged 21.5 MPG. It runs entirely different from before the engine work. My cost was well below $500 if I remember it correctly.

My point is while you had the heads off take the opportunity to replace the liners. It was available on eBay for around $200. I saw it once at $125 plus shipping and it was a new Cofap set. You will need a gasket set for around $100 too.

David