Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:54:42 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Neil's Engine Conversion. Progress Update.
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

Thanks Jake et al.

Today I will make the accelerator cable linkage (my old design of cable/small pulley worked but was not good)

It'll be up/down the driveway, maybe around the block, but that should tell me a lot.

Cheers,

Neil.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey congratulations Neil! That's a real accomplishment. > > On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 6:06 PM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Hi all. >> >> I was so excited to hear the Jetta engine run with the exhaust all >> mounted, (homemade + Walker "Quiet" model Vanagon style muffler.... >> and 2 custom muffler brackets!) I thought I'd report in about the >> progress on my conversion. >> >> It sounds great! Quite quiet in spite of the shorter exhaust run, >> idles steady, revs up nicely, though I think the lack of air filter is >> affecting the mid band sustained RPM's after gunning it from >> idle...... (the MAF is likely getting too much air flow) but I >> digress. >> >> The filling of the cooling system went very well. I used this >> ("stolen" from the Samba list): >> >> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234192&highlight=cooling >> >> It worked great. Can't say enough good things about it. It helped as I >> didn't have enough room to jack up rear of my Westy. The only problem >> using it (as a newb) was that I filled it too much at the end and when >> revved up, coolant barfed back up the pipe. Niiiiiice. >> >> This is ok, as I consider this a christening of my Westy as a water >> cooled beast. --- ;^) >> >> Figured out the position of heater core hoses. (I had it right the >> first time but as a former air cooled owner, had no idea how they went >> in) >> >> And....... >> >> The heat!!!! REAL heat!!! >> >> Distant are the memories of newby camping in eastern WA scampering to >> find a campsite... at 9 PM ..... late spring.... still some snow on >> the road higher up and me with no heat desperately "white knuckling >> it" trying to find the site that wasn't! (actually I found a nice >> little lake side camp site) >> >> Still have to install the gas tank, and wire up the rad fan, heater >> control cable and a few other niggling details, but things are lookin' >> good. >> >> It starts/restarts after a few turns, the engine sounds fine, clutch >> engages in all gears, there's no leaks, rad got warm-hot, pressure in >> system, upper rad hose hotter than the bottom one which warmed up up >> in due course. All good so far. >> >> And did I mention the REAL HEAT? --- ;^) >> >> Cheers, >> >> Neil. >> >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >> http://web.mac.com/tubaneil >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > > > -- > Jake > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > Crescent Beach, BC > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27