Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:44:19 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pondering new commuter car (FRIDAY ONLY TOPIC)
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <macgroup@comcast.net>

We just picked up a Volvo 850 (1997 GLT) with only 20 thousand miles on it. A real gem! It manages to pull 33-35mpg on the highway, and is FASSSSTTTTTT.

However of the list you listed, my money is on the "old" R32. They're not that old. Last year, the dealership I was working for managed to sell a few low mileage ones (under 20K miles) for $20K or less. The new ones, are not the same.... But the "Old" ones, are just SPECTACULAR. I always say its the fastest feeling car i've ever jumped into (And i've driven more than my fair share of exotic super cars). They just feel, ideal. I don't know on the gas mileage, but thats the car i'd be buying, especially if you needed AWD. I think it's the best valued sleeper car on the market.

I recently had a chance to drive some long trips in a few different subaru models. I must say, i hated them. The engines are great, but the interior was just rubbish in my mind. I couldn't manage to get comfortable at all, and everything felt like i was going to break it.

I do dig some of the volvos on the market, and the BMW 3's are NICE, but the bucks could be the problem there. Same with the Benz.

My reccomendation: Stop shopping for a new car. Ya i'm sure i have the least experience of everyone on the list in this department (quite literally), but "WHY?" Why buy new? "Because i'm the one breaking it in" or something of that nature.... Well i'm sorry to tell you, new cars rarely have 0 miles on them. They've been on test drives, driven around the lot day in and day out by uneducated highschool kids with muddy shoes, and the value just doesn't make sense! I have seen first hand that it just makes too much sense to buy a car a few years old, maybe 3 or 4 years old, with say 30K miles or less. Odds are, it will cost you LITERALLY half of what it would be new. And it's still "A new model" vehicle, with low miles..... I also like to see it from an environmental standpoint. I could go out tommorow and use my College loans that i loath to someday pay back, and purchase a 2008 Toyota Prius. I'm not going to go into a long rant about how they really "DON'T" Get the 100mpg that people dream of or whatever and are really only "Slightly" better than a conventional vehicle, but i wont. I'll state instead the problem with their sales (From an environmental standpoint). Everyone says "hey, i can save the world if i just trade in this old Clunker F150 with it's 200K miels, and buy a Prius!". Well lets pretend for a second that your F150 gets 15mpg combined driving, and the Prius gets 50 mpg (again, pretend). Keeping the old ford as upposed to buying the new car means that thats one less car that needs to be manufactured (Energy costs, Material costs, pollution costs, etc etc etc in production), and one less car that needs to be shreaded and sent to the fill (Waste). So in so many ways, your really killing the environment by buying that hybrid. I was always told that the most ecologically friendly thing you can do is recycle, as in making an existing product work in a new light and for longer. This applies to automobiles as well. And ya, you'll save so much money with the fuel improvements of the Prius over the F150, but how many years and miles do you have to drive it to justify the $30K you could save, and just put right into the fuel tank? Give me $30K in gas, and i won't care what my fuel mileage is.......

If you need an upgrade, buy "lightly used". Let someone else loose their money on the New car, and save the planet in the process (though keeping the corado would help more.....).

Just my thoughts. It's friday. Please, let's not hear the terrible Pmails about how i'm worse than Hitler, my views are wrong, and that young people just shouldn't talk..... I'm sick of that.

Whatever it is you do, you'll do because it's what you wanted to do, not because of what any one person says. Make your own decision, and try not to believe the salesmen..... comparing apples to oranges can be hard sometimes, but the fruit salad created in the end, sure is delicious.

-Craig '85GL