Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jun 2008 07:45:02 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stumped-Runs Rich/Stalls
Comments: To: Aileen Boyd <aileen.boyd@GMAIL.COM>

I would say the next most probable thing is the Air Flow Meter. If the track is bad this is pretty much impossible to test except by swapping in a known good AFM. The Bentley only lets us test the Temp I. The resistance track test just says that when you move the flap "resistance changes". If you can find someone in your area with a good running 86-91 Vanagon you can swap some parts over in a few minutes you should be able to find the problem. If you can't do that I have rebuilt Air Flow Meters and I would be glad to speak to you about your problem via email or over the phone to help you finish troubleshooting it.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Aileen Boyd wrote: > Hi everyone. 88' Vanagon still running very rich, stalling on idle after > much troubleshooting. Sounds like it is being smothered and eventually gives > out. Also puffs of black smoke and black oily guck coming out of tailpipe. > I have done the following: > Tested 02 sensor-ok > New Temp II Sensor > Replaced Idle Stablizer Unit > Replaced ECU > New Fuel Pressure Regulator > New spark plugs and wires > All wiring from ECU to 02 sensor checked-ok > New ground strap and Starter (just for fun) > Idle Control Valve "seems" to be vibrating. But could be the bucking and > puffing of engine. Hard to tell. Never felt it and had someone go, "there, > it's humming." > Throttle body clicking as it should on idle and full throttle > New air filter > New fuel filter > New fuel lines (again..just for fun and safety) > > I got a Digitool, tried my hand at installing it, and the ECU gave > out-completely. Had to get another ECU (can you hear the violins?). > Scared to install it on my new one. > Am I looking at testing/replacing the AMF and Idle Control Valve? Any hints > on how to test these? Have the Bentley and just need a bit of coaxing and > help. > Thanks all, you have given some great pointers before with this van, hoping > that I can get it going. > > Aileen > 88' Vanagon Westfalia > "Simone" > > > -- > If not Peace, then Justice..... > >