Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Jun 2008 07:13:39 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Front Axle Removal
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hey I just did this job in two evenings in my driveway. The hardest part was getting the inner CV bolts out. Loosen the big axle nut while still on the ground (30mm)  torqued to the hilts - I used a cheater bar - not sweat. remove the wheel. Remove the brake calliper & pads remove the brake line retainer and hang up the calliper with a wire on the upper arm remove the axle nut use a press and remove the tie rod end - this will give you lots of play in moving around use another press and push out the axle / unlodge it at least remove the 6 allen bolts that hold the inner CV joint, this will consume your fun OK now the axle is loose and moveable the drop link on the sway bar is too close to the shock absorber so now remove the drop-link This could be challenging because it is springgy and loaded with the van.  I was able to put a jack under the sway bar and lift it straight up to move the drop-link out of the way. Remove the upper ball joing and the axle assembly should flop downwards Continue to press the axle out of the hub if required. wiggle the axle out and up out of the hub and pull it towards you And that is it the axle is now in your arms. I had to use the dust shield from my old axle and reinstalled it on the new one.  You could replace those with new ones (around $40 each) Grease it up and same process in reverse. Took me 5 hours per side and I also replaced the tie rods, brake rotors and brake pads. Good luck, Joel in Rochester with 2 Syncros ----- Original Message ---- From: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:16:15 PM Subject: Re: Syncro Front Axle Removal At a minimum you need to disconnect the top ball joints and the outer tie rod ends. Then you should be able to work the axles out. Note that the outer joints should be loc-tited into the splines so you will need a puller to pull (pus them through. This may require removing the brake rotors. You should use loc-tite retaining compound or red on the splines when re-installing. If using after market outer boot kits, get the correct nuts from the dealer. Dennis -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Jon Kanas Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:32 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Syncro Front Axle Removal Good Afternoon, I am preparing to repack and replace the boots on the outer CV joints on the front axles of a 1987 Syncro.  I'd like to find out from anyone who's done this messy little task if, once you have detached the axles from the front differential is there enough clearance to slide the axles out of the front hub assemblies without further disassembly of the front end. As a note,  I've done several rear axle CV builds,  but any additional pointers on the Vanagon front  axles is appreciated. -- *Best Regards, Jon B Kanas Email: kanas@qadas.com <mailto:kanas@qadas.com> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonkanas Longmont, Colorado; Cultural Center of the Universe Website: http://www.qadas.com/~kanas <http://www.qadas.com/%7Ekanas> AOL Instant Messenger ID: KanasColo *