Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:09:25 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: parts list for poptop shocks

There are some volks on the WetWesties list who installed Mark's kit and had good things to say. It seems a good way to go IF you have little in the way of rack-loaded weight up on top. Since I often carry a solar panel, kayak and or bike, I felt Mark's kit was not going to provide enough boost. So I ended up installing longer struts further towards the front. With just the racks and solar panel, the top raises by itself once I unlatch it and push up about 6 inches. Very cool to watch it go up with no hands! It does need some downward pressure to close, but will stay in position to tuck the canvas. With the kayak, it takes a slight push on the bar to raise and lows as normal. This is with 50LB. gas springs! For heavier loads, I may get a set of 75 or 100LB. springs. Easy to switch.

Bottom line is that this is one of the best upgrades I have ever done, and I have done a few! I used to have to unload the kayak to pop the top because it was just too hard to raise by myself, and I have a reasonable amount of upper body strength. Even with just the racks and solar panel, it was a struggle. Not any more.

I have a parts list and can email pics to anyone who is interested. Very similar to Florian Speier's setup, but has the bottom end attached forward of the top end instead of the reverse.

Keith O

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@gmail.com> wrote: > Hey Frank --- I just installed my kit and they are fabulous. One of these > kits is a doorprize at BusFusion this year :-) The guys name is Mark Goodard > email is megoddard@hotmail.com and he's a good guy to deal with too. > Cheers, > Doug > > > > On 6/9/08, Frank Condelli <RAlanen@aol.com> wrote: >> >> In a message dated 06/06/2008 12:31:28 P.M. Central Standard Time, >> LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: >> >> There's a guy on The Samba who has developed a kit with all the needed >> parts to install lifting shocks on your poptop. He seems to have done a >> good >> amount of trial and error and research before settling on the kit(s) he >> offers >> now. >> >> There's a regular duty kit for tops with no racks/boxes/kayaks etc., and a >> heavy duty kit for tops that do have some stuff up there. >> >> People have reported being able to lift the top with as little as two >> fingers! Closing the top is supposed to be a bit of a pull down, but >> nothing >> difficult. >> >> I haven't purchased a kit yet, but have been pondering it. >> I believe he charges $85 for the kit, which doesn't seem unreasonable to >> me >> to get all the pieces that actually work! >> >> _http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2847737#2847737_ >> (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2847737#2847737) >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> These kits are the cats meow ! I have just installed mine and with the 25 >> lb solar panel on top the pop top goes up with the touch of my fingers. >> Pulling it closed is a bit more difficult but nothing compared to having >> to open >> that top with the solar panel on there before the struts were installed. >> I >> have bough a whole pile of them for sale to my customers here. Everyone >> who's >> tried them loves them ! One of the better new items for our Westys is >> some >> time. >> >> Cheers, >> >> Frank Condelli >> Almonte, Ontario, Canada >> '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ >> (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) >> _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html >> ) >> - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley >> _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ >> (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) >> _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper >> camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2008 >> > > > > -- > http://www.dougalcock.com >