Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:23:49 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy water tank key blank

>> The 1092C is a better deal at 1/4 the price, but it's a pretty thin >> key.

> I'm using the 1092c and it works just fine

Indeed, the 1092C should be more than adequate. Steve informs me that the locks are quality all-brass pin-tumbler units, so the typical problems one finds with the hard to turn cheap cam locks usually used in these applications simply aren't an issue. Gotta like that sensible German engineering!

I would be loath to take such a lock to a random locksmith to generate a key when the originals are all lost, though. They're unmarked, effectively permanently assembled, and apparently difficult to generate keys for. Even being a locksmith myself I think I'd probably just have Steve do it. He has collected all the necessary tryout keys to deduce the correct bitting--- not an easy task--- so you can be sure of getting a good key and not having the lock damaged by some yahoo.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Lastwagen" '90 Vanagon GL - "Wiesel"