Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jun 2008 21:42:05 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 500 miles per gallon
Comments: To: Ron Tipton <uther@DRAGONHOME.ORG>

I think it would be relatively easy to increase electrical generating capacity at the present level of technology. It is simply going to get better with the passage of item. I saw some figures last year that showed that fields of wind generators and solar panel fields can be built in the western states sufficient to meet all the power needs of the eastern half of the USA. If this generation capacity were distributed nation wide along with other electrical sources electrical energy would not be any kind of problem at all. The problem then becomes one of fuels for vehicular traffic. That is a whole 'nother matter, and is going to take much longer to resolve.

When I lived in Alaska there was a man and wife that came into my shop from the Netherlands. They were world travelers - both retired after long careers with BP - and they were looking for a place to settle. They were going to build a home that was a traditional Dutch Windmill. The showed me that plans and the sails were to be used to drive a big generator on top, which would supply power for the house, as well as backfeed into the power grid. Smart move.

In this country we should initiate immediately a massive solarization system program for power on all buildings. It would bring a major turning of the corner on energy.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Ron Tipton wrote: > On Jun 16, 2008, at 6:36 PM, Jake de Villiers wrote: > >> And what do you think the price of electricity is going to do when >> you plug >> a million cars into the grid overnight?! > > actually, not much. for two reasons. first and by far the most > important is that > electricity isn't like gas or oil or water. with those, you have a > certain amount, > store what you're not currently using and sell in the future. > > electricity isn't stored or saved. it is used or discarded as it is > generated. and > the generation process takes days or weeks to start up. and so > utilities have > to have the on-line capacity to generate the maximum amount of > electricity > they will ever need. now this is mitigated somewhat by the various > grids we > now have, but in general that's how it works. > > and since most electricity is used durning the day time, for most of > the night > utilities are discarding electricity... which could be used to charge > millions > of cars overnight with NO new capacity needed. > > the second reason is that the load of adding a million cars is a drop > in the > bucket. > > r > > > Ron Tipton > uther@dragonhome.org > > NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security > Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. > They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You > have little recourse nor protection except to call for the impeachment > of the current President. > >