Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:59:54 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Now My Jetta conversion won't start --- :^( --- (longish)

Hi all.

This is regarding an OBD1 ABA Motronic 2.9 stock 2.0 Jetta engine I installed in my Westy.

The ECU and wiring harness are from an automatic Jetta. Auto tranny TCM (trans. control module) NOT present. TB is from a *manual* tranny engine.

I have a TB from an automatic Jetta. (2 throttle position sensors) and can swap it in.

I have yet to hook up the OBD interface, but here's what's happening.

It used to start, idle, but bog with throttle opened slowly to 1/3 way. After a 30 sec. - few minute run, I would shut if off and try to restart. It would spin, "catch" a little, and sometimes start. Next day, it would start. Yesterday same thing, but eventually no firing, (catching) and no start.

I replaced rotor, cap, plugs, timing belt (timing ok) well before yesterday. Got fresh gas half way through yesterdays trials, and replaced the fuel filter.

Cleaned the TB, MAF, IAC, (and tried another IAC), double checked electrical connections. Can't find any vacuum leaks. Fuel is pumping. FP hotwired made no difference. Power gets to power supply relay, and to 12V side of the coil.

I have not checked for spark yet, but checked one of the plugs. It was pretty black. The exhaust (to an uneducated nose) might be smelling rich. I can't test for power to the HOS2 sensor as engine needs to be running.

I'll connect the OBD but will be relying on light flashes from the "Mal" light (aka the CEL). I don't have a VAG-COM unit.

Any suggestions as to why it won't start?

Does the ECU need to be cleared of error codes? i.e. would error codes cause a no start?

Thanks much for any direction.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/