Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:33:27 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's the easiest way to drop a stock engine?
Comments: To: The Westy man <zolo@foxinternet.net>

In defense of me using a sawhorse, a) I already have one so I don't have to make anything, b) likewise the chain host I already have is not like one of those crummy harbor freight chain hoists but a seventy-year old ratchet-controlled piece of real lifting equipment that represents the height of american manufacturing skill and overkill, c) the sawhorse is a heavy metal one that stands nicely over the engine hatch, and d) i use a nice oak partner across the top of the sawhorse when lifting. If I didn't already have this arrangement, I would make and use yours, it's really slick and about the size of my folded up sawhorse.

I drop my engines onto a carpeted furniture dolly and roll it into my garage where I have a hook in the ceiling that is strapped also to the rafters above it to share the load. I transfer the chain hoist to that hook, roll the engine under it, and lift it to the height of either my adjacent workbench or engine stand.

Jim