Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:25:12 -0700
From:         M'obeechi <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM>
Subject:      Agilis Nokian Hybrid Tires

I had Nokian WR in 205 65 R 15. Mishap ruined one. So I bought two Agilis 51 same size and an SA Tire Carrier (from VolksCafe aka FolksCafe aka VanCafe) to replace my stock claim shell.

However, I never really wanted to forgo on Nokian's. Though I live in Southern California they've been great. Decent curb protection as well (though maybe BFG's would offer even more?). Nokia's web site no longer lists the 205/65R15 nor the 215/65R15 for WR's anymore. I'm sure they can be found, but this to me, this indicates that Nokia no longer manufacturing WR's in this size (they are available in larger SUV sized).

The CS is listed under both summer and winter tires, and has the same Server Weather Emblem as the WR's, and they come in 205/65R15. The only complaint I can find on them is they aren't as quiet as the Vredestein Comtrac's are. Not sure if they're louder than the WR's (which never produced enough noise for me to notice, so maybe they are louder than the WR's).

So here's my question. You're welcome to rip it to shreds. What about using Agilis 51 for the front during the summer, and rotate the wheels from side to side, and then use Nokian Haka CS for the rear year round, and for the front in the winter, with a rotation for these that goes from front to rear to off for a season? This way there would be no issue with noise for the driver during the summer, at least for the front, where its most likely to be heard by the driver. (One problem with this, is that some have said the Agilis get hard after a while, so and you'd be sitting over them, so I don't know, maybe lower the pressure down to 38psi would help? - I know typically pressure might be 40 to 43 for the front and 50 to 53 for the rear, and maybe the main reason for this is that sitting over tires with 50 psi won't be as comfortable as sitting of tires with 40 psi?).

The Haka CS can take more psi than the Agilis, and the Agilis don't seem to have anyone raving snow performance so for both reasons the Hakas are better than the Agilis for the rear (I'm under the impression that snow performance is more affected by the rear tires than by the front tires). So under this, the Haka that was in front for the summer becomes the tire that is in back for the winter, while the tire that fits on the front for the winter becomes the tire that sits in the garage for the summer, to later be put on the rear in the winter.