Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:53:09 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic condensation drain
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

two thoughts - one, it's not a 'pilot light' of course, it's the Burner Flame.

and ...........dark sure helps allright ! but ......the sight angle' ...........another dumb engineering thing from germany - the actual site angle for the Burner Flame through the tiny window is way, way low. Like you have to be , or I do anyway, on my knees, with my feet out the open sliding door, to get low enough to see the flame through the tiny window.

particularily when i'm selling a westy, and ive gotten the fridge working on propane, i put a piece of masking tape right on the left inner side of the fridge right on the sight line, so people know to get low enough to be able to actually see it.

another misconception- at least on the 82 diesel westy I had the whole kitchen out of , and ran the fridge on propane with the whole unit out of the van.............. someone wrote that running the stove burners will fill the pipe to the fridge burner with propane.

not so, the pipes , at least on an 82 separate right after the propane tank, so running the stove burners does not get propane into the fridge pipe at all.

I sure would have made the thing easier to service and work on ! my Airstream trailer has outside access doors to all that furnace and fridge type stuff, so you can get at the back of it - duh ! be worth putting into the side of a westy even, if don't elegantly enough.

scott www.turbovans.com

Frank Condelli wrote: > In a message dated 16/06/2008 10:02:15 P.M. Central Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > It wasn't 'water' rust, it was like powder, rust dust. I'm guessing > the metal pipes that go from the burner box (right term? The box with > the thermocouple and the drain line end in it) got damp and grew > surface rust again and again over the years. Drive the VW over bumpy > roads and it falls down, 24 years worth. > I'm waiting for dark so I can try and light it again, it ought to be > easier to see if the pilot light does catch... > > > > > > > > > > > 24 years worth ?????? Holly Molly !!! The Dometic service/repair manual > CLEARLY states the fridge should be removed and serviced at least once a year > ! This is the main reason that most of the DOMS are not working. > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 Westy & Lionel Trains (_Collection for sale_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/trainsal.htm) ) > _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) > - Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley > _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/exhaust.htm) > _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper > camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2008 > > >