Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:42:12 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Agilis Nokian Hybrid Tires
Comments: To: M'obeechi <obeechi@runbox.com>

RE: Mixing Tires, personal experience with a Vanagon. I'm going to try to keep this brief but it's a long story. Lead in: In 1994 I bought an '85 Westy that needed tires. Went to the local tire store and they put on a set of Michelin XZX tires, wrong tires for a Vanagon (but many were put on Vanagons and later Michelin did a recall on those IIRC). Drove several years with them (wallowing in the wind, didn't know any better). Developed a seperation on one tire. Was leaving on a trip and the tire store put two new MXTs on the rear. Felt very little or no difference in handling. Drove for a year like that. Then seperation on another of the XZXs. Put two new MXTs on to match the year old MXTs. I though I was driving a new vehicle when I drove out of the tire shop. Lesson: Put the right tires on the vehicle to start with and second lesson the wrong tires on the front with right tires on the rear still feels wrong.

Last fall I replaced the Agilis tires on my Westy with Nokian Haka CS. Nothing wrong with the Agilis just getting down on tread (and were lousy on wet grass and mud). The CS are noisier than the Agilis but feel just a tad more solid.

As for your problem in rotating tires keep in mind that the Hakas may be directional (my CS are) and would have to be remounted when rotating unless they are just changed from front to rear on the same side.