Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:12:33 -0700
From:         Brendan Slevin <totorovan@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front Cooling Fan on 84 westy 1.9L
Comments: To: Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@hotmail.com>

Jamie,

I recently replaced my fan switch, located on the lower front driver's side or the radiator. I, too have an 84 1.9l. It was an easy test to see if my fan worked on either speed. I removed the lower grill, unplugged the connector on the switch. One wire was +12v all the time, I can't remember now-use a test light to find out which, it wasn't the middle. :) Anyway I used a jumper between the +12v and the other two terminals and listened for the fan, low speed on one, high on another. I heard my fan for the first time! No way to miss it. I suppose if you can't get your fan to come on like this, after making sure you have 12v at the connector, you fan may be at fault. If jumping it kicks on your fan at both speeds then your fan switch is faulty. Cheap from van-cafe.com and it comes with cookies. Quick replacement, too. I had my cooling system drained for other reasons, but I bet you could swap it out with a quick hand if the radiator was full. Hope this helps.

Brendan Slevin 84 GL Totoro Bend, Oregon