Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jun 2008 11:18:55 -0500
From:         James Fritz <jlfritz@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lost Vanagons in the Iowa Flooding?
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

Max et al......

Well, we went well past our 500 year flood projection. Happily, Decorah is protected by a dike system that held. However, another foot of vertical rise and half of the town would have been inundated (including my Westy......which is still for sale BTW). I've lived in this house for 22 years and have now experienced 2 "100 year floods" and a "500+ year flood". Don't get me started on climate change...................

I live on the banks of the Upper Iowa and own the two houses on either side of me...(my mother and mother-in-law homes). I sandbagged for well over 12 hours and then spent the next 36 manning the sump pumps. Once the Upper Iowa receded (we're only 40 miles from the headwaters so flood events, while spectacular, are short- lived) the town started cleaning up. Normal river levels are around 6', flood stage is 12' and we crested at 18'.

I've spent the past 4 days hauling sogging things out of 3 basements. My sandbag wall held so all I got was clean seepage through the cracks of the floor, walls, etc. Yesterday we blitzed all three houses (with the help of friends) and power washed, bleached, and cleaned. Now its lots of AC, dehumidifiers, and fans to dry out. We were able to catch it fast enough that if we really dry things out it should mitigate mold issues.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Cedar Falls, Waterloo, and Des Moines are actually in much worse condition. The waters have risen higher, will take longer to recede, and the ensuing damage will be exponentially worse. 88 of th3e 99 counties in Iowa have been declared disaster areas. Flooded fields out number dry ones.

The amazing thing about all of this is the obvious demonstration of "Iowa Spirit". Neighbors know their neighbors and care about them. They turn out in droves to volunteer. They come back to help clean up. They risk life and limb.

Its a proud time to be an Iowan.

Think dry! Jim in Iowa

1989 Westy 85K actual miles and still for sale 1966 Beetle 1953 Beetle