Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:06:14 -0400
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC High Side - line leak - rubber hose
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

Roger,

I have a 4 year old, new compressor, a new condenser, have already changed all the 0-rings. I have the professional gages, and my system held a vacuum when last charged, before my engine swap. The system is currently empty, due to the excessive leak in the High side hose, so when I swap the hose, I can put my vacuum (thanks to Harbor Freight $17) on the system to pull all the air and moisture out. I will change the dryer too, before the recharge. I do have about 6 or 7 cans of R12 on my shelf, but intend to swap to R134a, and save the R12 for my 91 Mazda Miata (which uses 1/2 can a year).

I have done AC work before, and will attempt this one. With 134a, in an R12 conversion, I've been told to keep it at about 80% capacity, due to the higher efficiency of 134a, with a smaller condenser. I figure I can get the entire project done for about $150. R134a is only $6 a can at Wally World!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jack R. 84 Westy Wolfie, with a 91 2.1L Syncro motor.