Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Jun 2008 12:55:20 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: photo... illiteracy: examples from replies
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>

dear studentry of the english language et al

first ... > Pricey.

ALWAYS remove a final e from a word before adding any suffix. If "torquy" looks awkward, so what?

both are considered correct ... APPLE Spell Widget says so ... my wife with american university masters says so too (but we refer to Apple to adjudicate all disagreements) (we have several style manuals in the house but chicago is too big and strunk is under it) (the canadian style manuals are on order)

second ... many countries are on this list ... (i hail from Canadia ;o) north america is made up of three continental ties to three nations and oceanic ties to one (france (w/ st pierre & miquelon ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

so it would not be out of order if i were to revert to my mother tongue and commence to include grammar from the language Breton

third ... email is somewhat more like a conversation rather than a written letter ... article or story ... the parentheses used are often to note a digression in the speech ... much like an aside would be offered in spoken word

when i write an article .. story or professional letter i submit same to my editors .. (one i am married to and one i work with) they happily make me look better ...;o) all of these mediums have different tokens that make them operate better in different environments ...

second to lastly ... i am always amazed that how a mass produced vehicle like the Volkswagen Van (type 2 - etc... ) with Westfalia interior can have no two alike or at least very few alike ... the inlets are often in different locations... (just for example) there are as many nuances to the van as there are people who own them ... i grew up in a region that sent people to the hostible if they fell off the slippy roof while cleaning their chimilly if you really want to move your grammar up a notch... advance your self to read ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Flesch then go to your computer open word >open options> choose the edit grammar tab> choose to show readability statistics

take note of whose readability statistics those are ...

lastly ... (Really) enjoy all the variations of writing available in lists like these make your professional work impeccable on web pages ... blogs ... letters to others and remember that form will never become from and then will never have happened in juxtaposition with than ... no matter how many times you run spell check ... unless the readability statistics box is checked ...

yours

-- roger w There are two kinds of jobs in the world: Picking up garbage and telling people things. Successful people do both, with the same good attitude. (riw) ----------------------------------------------------------- View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners and ... older work at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7135104650374818257 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3259745150182742364