Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:37:47 -0400
From:         William Greenamyer <greenamyer@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Starter won't engage ring gear WHEN COLD

Well, here I am again. Weather turned hot and sure enough, the starter is working fine now. Because of the weather changes occurring in California, it is sometimes hard to identify an actual problem associated with temperature because things change from day to day. Now I would say it is definite.

At present, I can only guess that the most likely cause has something to do with the solenoid not popping the pinion out far enough to engage the ring gear because I don't hear a grind. I do hear the starter motor.

Now the questions for all of you starter experts.

Assuming the solenoid (which is only a couple years old on either starter that exhibits the same problem), is it better to recondition the existing solenoid or just buy a new (rebuilt) one? The reason I ask is because both of the starters I have were rebuilt and had the solenoids replaced. They are totally different types of starters but there was no telling how long the solenoids were sitting on the shelf before they were installed on my starters.

Does anyone have good instructions on rebuilding the solenoid? What is the best type of lubrication to use? (Moly grease or something else?)

William