Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jun 2008 10:37:32 -0700
From:         Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Traveling report #1
Comments: To: Rob <becida@comcast.net>

Sounds like you're living the Dream!

Next time you're on the southern OR coast, Harris State Park is NICE. Last overnight heading south. The only downside there is you have to pay for a Cable TV hookup (should be illegal in a camp) to get the best spots. It's $1. And, of course, the road boats (Winnie's) take the best spots on the overlook and stay all summer (should have 1 week limit). What more can you expect from the 'state' tho'. Life is better than we deserve.

On 6/21/08, Rob <becida@comcast.net> wrote: > > I'm on the road with my '84 Westy, interesting time. I have a Subaru > 2.2 siting in my garage, I got the harness finished and school was > out about the same time. I decided to go traveling. I think about > this every time I down shift going up a hill (and that's a lot <g>). > > I had to pull the refrigerator and clean it all to get it to light > but it's been on and doing it's thing since last Tuesday, that was a > good feeling. I hooked up city water at home before we left and blew > the faucet out so I have to carry water. > We took off late and made it just out of WA before we stopped at Ft > Stevens State park in Oregon. Passed another brown westy going north > just before we crossed the bridge into Astoria. > The drive down the Oregon coast is a great trip and well worth the > gas & time. I could have used a lot more time for that part of this first > trip. > Oregon has nice state parks, a lot nicer than the Washington park we > stayed at in May. The next day we didn't make it far and we tried > another Oregon state park, I was rested the morning after that. I > realized that there is not enough time to do everything I wanted to > do (like that's unusual) so we headed out for Jedediah Smith State > Park in Calif. It's been 20+ years since I stayed there, outrageous > scenery but the park is #3 behind Oregon & Washington. The Oregon > Caves are still a neat trip and worth the gas but give yourself > enough time for the drive up, the 90 Minnie tour and the wait for the > tour to start. The lady selling the tickets said we were lucky only > having to wait an hour as 3 hours is not unusual. With a 3 hr wait > the Oregon Caves would be a full days trip but there is a campground > up 'by' there (I did not stop and see it). > Down 101 to Santa Rosa... I could take a month going from Astoria, > following 101 to Santa Rosa just camping at great looking spots and > spots I remember from years past. > > The VW is running great, not fast up hills but it just keeps on > chugging with the 4 of us in it. But the air conditioner does not > work... I passed a Harbor Freight and thought of stopping for some AC > tools to fix it but I really won't have time this trip as we have to > be back Monday night. When I started planning this first trip I had > 10 full days, when we left Tues afternoon I had to be back Monday > night... but the VW & it's 1.9 are working great. Other than the > oil/filter, and alignment I changed the minute oil to Red Line MT90 > and like I said everything works great so far. > > I have passed 4 westys while driving, seen 6 parked and there were 2 > syncros at Jed Smith park. There were 3 air cooled type2s there also. > Gas is a 40 cents+ more in CA than in OR but there is gas. > > I have to get going and head down to Santa Cruz, I told my son I'd be > down this weekend and we do have to be back home Monday night > > Rob > becida@comcast.net > in an '84 westy in Santa Rosa (right now). >

-- Neil2 '82 Diesel Westy (Duckie)