Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jun 2008 17:09:05 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starting problem
Comments: To: Neil2 <vidublu@gmail.com>

Neil, I'm not sure I understand the symptoms; maybe you covered them in an earlier post. I assume that when you turn the key to the start position, the starter does not engage and rotate the engine. I'm a little confused by your statement that "sometimes" a click can be heard, but I will ignore that for now. If my assumptions above are correct, then you should try some of the temporary remedies many of us have used in the past: Have someone hold the key in the start position while you either crawl under and whack the solenoid with a hammer, or use a broomstick inserted above the right rear wheel. If this type of thing causes the solenoid to activate, you have the common problem that I have faced in two vanagons and one bay. Causes may include, corroded connections anywhere in the circuit driving the solenoid, resistance at the contacts in the ignition switch, dirt/corrosion causing sticking of the solenoid, and marginal wiring design with too much resistance to start with. Some people find that cleaning, lubricating, or replacing the solenoid solves the problem. I have not been successful with that approach. I have used the relay approach successfully three times. Although eventually in one case I finally had to have the starter rebuilt. If the commutator/brushes contact is bad enough the relay doesn't help; the ground path for the solenoid is thru the starter. Some the the list vendors sell a "hard start" relay kit. If you buy your own it should be able to handle about 40 amps. Basically it should be wired so that the circuit from the ignition switch activates the relay which makes a connection between the large +12 post on the solenoid and the push-on terminal that the ignition circuit was connected to. I have always mounted the relays under the rear seat out of the weather and snuck the wires out thru the openings where the rear heater hoses go [unless it was an air-cooled van :-) ] Dennis Haynes has expressed concern that because a large inductive load is being switched, the contacts of a relay may become welded together. This would be rather awkward as the starter would be activated until someone disconnected the battery. I believe he recommended a particular type of relay to avoid this possibility. Use a relay at your own risk; many have done so with no problem.

There is one other weak point in the system that I should mention, if only for PM. The very short strap that feeds the current from the bottom terminal of the solenoid into the starter itself, is made of very fine strands of copper and is very vulnerable to corrosion in a salty environment. About two years ago, on my '91 that cable had completely turned to powder. This required a rebuild that was a little more expensive than usual, because they had to replace the field coils. Everyone should smear that cable with thick grease about once a year to protect it.

Hope this helps, Larry A.