Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Jun 2008 19:04:26 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Draggin caliper, bad bearing job, or paranoia?
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

If the washer under the nut could be moved a little bit, the bearing is not adjusted to tight, for sure. If you got any grease in there, it's enough to keep it from getting hot right away.

I didn't read any mention of dragging claiper. also..............helps to know what YEAR vanagon it is. the two piston early calipers commonly have a stuck piston. you push the pistons back, or just squeaze on the edge of a pad with a big pliers - to see if that pad and piston will move back nicely with steady medium pressure. both pistons should move back. it's quite common to have a pretty sticky caliper piston, 85 and earlier.

here's a bearing story for you. 56 VW Bus, Nevada desert - in the 70's. driving along on a remote dirt road about 20 mph I hear 'squeak, sqeak, sqeuak'. I take the left front wheel bearings apart- they're dry and burnt blue. I scronge some grease from the front suspension or something ...........like a couple of thimble fulls, and smeak that on the bearings. I drive 60 miles to St. Geogue Utah, and the VW Dealer there...............the owner is there by himself, and he opens up the parts department and sells me a bearing or two. It was 13 dollars or something - easily a whole tank of gas. I go tout in the parking lot and go to put them it - the old bearings look fine ! So I just add some grease to those..........and ran them another 50K miles at least.

Vanagon front wheel bearings aren't as big as the ones on that old Bus............ and 82's and earlier have a slightly weak outer front wheel bearing............ scott www.turbovans.com

Mike wrote: > If your newly greased bearing is running hot, then it may be too tight, > insufficiently lubed, contaminated with dirt, or the bearing itself > may be > bad. > Did you clean and thoroughly inspect the rollers and races before adding > new grease? This includes the inner races that are pressed into the > rotor. > Did you push grease through the cages until it came out the other side? > If not, you should have. > Greasing a wheel bearing (or CV joint) properly is dirty job, if it done > properly. No shortcuts are recommended here. > There are some special tools to make this job easier, but an owner would > rarely be able to get enough uses of it, to get their money's worth > out of > the deal. Just do it the old-fashioned, time-honored way; by hand. > You can wear nitrile gloves to keep the grease off of your skin, but you > may go through a few pairs in the process. Gojo hand cleaner will fix > you > all up right afterwards (if you can't tell, I love the stuff!). > Hopefully you don't need to replace them, but you'll need to remove, > clean > and inspect them to be able to say for sure. If you're sure that they're > fine, you may be able to just 'repack' them properly. BTW, never fill > the > bearing cap full of grease, it's not recommended. Also, be sure to > smear a > little grease on the lip of the seal, so it's not running totally > dry. This > will 'burn' the lip and ruin its ability to act properly to keep the > grease > in, and water and contaminants out. Hope this helps, > > Mike B. > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Aaron" <a.robinson.lists@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 2:38 PM > Subject: Draggin caliper, bad bearing job, or paranoia? > > >> Hello all. >> >> I just replaced the from right brake disk along with all new inner/ >> outer races/bearings. My question is that I think that either the pads >> are dragging on the new disk or that my bearings may need more >> attention. >> >> When doing the bearings, I put the bearings in a baggie, squeezed lots >> of grease in and then added a little extra grease around the bearings >> It's hard to say if that was enough or not. I also tightened it down >> until I couldn't move the thrust washer and then started backing it >> off until i could just move it and the wheel turned freely and there >> was no "rocking" movement. It turns freely. >> >> BUT, just out of curiosity, I felt it the wheel at the grease cap and >> it was hotter than the left one which I did not do. Did I perhaps not >> get enough grease in there or could my pads be dragging more? I'm just >> a little paranoid because I'm about to leave for a 10 day trip and >> don't want to do roadside maintenance. >> >> Thanks, >> Aaron >> '85 Westy >> > >