Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:05:03 -0700
From:         Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dometic condensation drain

At 6/4/2008 10:21 AM, Jonathan Poole wrote: >There has been good discussion on the fridge "drain" and blowing out but it >seemed to me that a little clarification would be helpful. > >Over the years I have regularly used the "drain" on my fridge. What comes >out is never water or moisture but instead ash chunks. I guess that >critters or trash go into the intake from time to time and then get burned. >Every few months I remove the cap and lightly tap on the tube which allows >the crud to fall out. Every now and then when I am vacuuming I will remove >the cap and put the vacuum hose up to it to suck crud out. Also I have >attached a shop vac to the exhaust on the side of the van which moves a lot >of air through the combustion chamber when doing this I usually walk around >and open the little drain cap to suck the crud out of the tube. Anyway I >since my experiences have been different and over a long period of time I >thought they were worth mentioning. > >Also over the years when I have seen fridges blow out I have always (my >experience here) been able to fix the problem by removing the flue pieces >and seal from the side of the van and then cleaning and sealing them lightly >with silicone. I seal the rubber to the body (probably most helpful for >keeping water out of the inside of the van) then the flue to the rubber and >even put a bit of silicone on the intake/exhaust divider plate. After doing >this the fridge has always stayed lit for me. I believe though that if this >doesn't fix the problem you should try resealing the combustion chamber next >and inspecting for damaged or cracked pipes. > >Jonathan Poole >'83 AC Westy

I have an '84 westy and just this morning took the fridge out to clean the drain. I could not blow through it or even put something into it one inch. The combustion box at the back had a fair amount of fine rust in it, maybe .25" covering the whole bottom. The drain was clogged with that fine rust. I used a coat hanger, the shop vac and compressed air to clear out the whole 14" of drain line. On mine I can now pull the drain plug and insert 14" of coat hanger into the drain line.

Rob becida@comcast.net In western WA with an '84 Westy and a summer before me.