Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2008 00:25:27 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Issue with brake pads
Comments: To: Dave Yates <transparu@GMAIL.COM>

I've been using Repco Deluxe brake pads from Australia for over 25 years mate, on all kinds of cars, with great success.

perhaps you don't have much of a Discount Parts system where you are. Which is why you ordered them from Arizona in the first place I imagine !

I have seen cracked brake pads, but not very often. I see cracked rear brake shoes fairly commonly. I don't give it much thought actually...........as long as the brake lining material stays firmly bonded to the backing metal..................can't imagine any problem. Cracks might even help with cooling of the pad. I doubt it would cause a brake to sudden lock up on you. or serious brake failure in a danger way, Something inconvenient perhaps, but not unsafe. I'd do just what you did, get a spare set to have ready if needed.

With reasonable driving .................pads last a long, LONG time. scott www.turbovans.com

Dave Yates wrote: > I'm driving an '82 Vanagon downunder. > > In preparation for a longish trip I looked at the front brake pads. They > have been squeaking when not applied, almost since they went in maybe a year > ago. > > There is loads of wear left on the pads but I found that the two I have > looked at so far are cracked (the lining, not the steel backing). The crack > runs effectively radially when the pad is in the car. It looks as if the > crack could extend through the pad. Except for very badly worn pads, I don't > think I have ever seen a pad cracked like this when it still has 80%+ of its > life ahead of it. > > Has anyone had a similar experience? Ay comments? > > Thanks > > dave > > PS I recently ordered a spare pad set when I bought parts from a US > (Arizona) VW parts supplier. I bought them partly because they were about > 1/3 of the price of similar parts here. When I received them, blow me down, > they had been made in Australia! > > >