Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:07:56 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Shazam <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: temp guage read-out
Comments: To: "Richards, Andrew" <Andrew.Richards@NIKE.COM>

hi, you're SURE you have a good new german thermostate in there ?? 87 C is the 'hot' I believe. also........... YOU MUST, MUST MUST have a simple IR temp gun. then......you just point it at various spots and hoses on the engine and then you know what the real running temp of the engine is. without some good independent temp determining system like that......... right now you don't really know if it's the engine is actually running too cool, or if the guage is reading incorrectly. and ..........'just trying parts' is not a very evolved way to go about fixing this symptom.

Other reasons I emphaicize the need for an Infra Red temp gun is it's infinitel uses- I can identify an not-as-well fring spark plug in two seconds with on. Endless uses. check if a brake is dragging - on and on like that.

you could also measure the resistance of your temp sender. you don't say which engine .......1.9 or 2.1...........or even diesel........... but on the 2.1 I wonder if people are not getting the two temp sensors mixed up or confused. one is for guage, one for ECU. ( here's a fun one - on an OBD-II Subaru - you connect your laptop or code reader to the OBD-II port...........and you get to see EXACTLY what temp the ECU is seeing inside the engine !~ )

btw................i have almost NEVER seen any temp guage problems on a vanagon unless they were assoiciated with the VOLTAGE STABIZER on the back of the printed cirucit on the dash. you considered that, right ?

scott www.turbovans.com

and not haivng a simple infra red temp gun when you work on and diagnose your own cars or van is like not having a ............... like not having two hands, it's that useful. they start at about 40 bucks. I wouldn't be without one. Litterly thousands of uses.

And every day I pray that vanagon owners who work on their vans will learn to adapt a diagnostic and testing mind, and not a 'what part is it' mind. SO OFTEN it's not a faulty part, or at least not the one you guessed/hoped it was. I guess i will just have to start writing diagnostic tech tactics and tricks Iit's so much more fun than just trying parts. Plus you learn how the systems work, and you just get better and better at diagnosing and fixing. You never learn that much just replacing parts until you hit the right one or two.

Richards, Andrew wrote: > List, > > > > In the last 25K miles, I've replaced my radiator, water pump, thermostat, and just last night, my temp sensor that sends the signal to the dash. I did the sensor in hopes of getting my dash gauge to sit in the middle over the flashing bulb, but it's still at ¾ when at running temp. Is there any way to get the needle to the middle?? It just seems so illogical. > > > > Also, I was told by a couple list members that the system is self-bleeding and I wouldn't have to bleed it after changing my temp sensor. Well, I'm not seeing any change in the coolant levels of my expansion tank(s) after losing at least a few cups in the process of swapping sensors. What's up with that? Just to be sure, I'm going to go for a drive tonight with the heat all the way on and see what happens. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Andrew > > '87 GL > > >